We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled flight documentation

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Cancelled flight documentation

Supposedly my credit card covers reasonable lodging and meal expenses because a UA flight was cancelled and I was delayed a day. The enhancement services is looking for a statement from the airline stating the cause of the cancellation though.

Has anybody ever gotten such a statement? UA did send a courtesy e-mail stating that a flight would be cancelled, but nowhere in their note does it state the cause. [By the way, it was a snowstorm.]

I wrote to UA requesting a causal statement but haven't gotten a response yet.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,734 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelled flight documentation

Hi,

They have, like most carriers, have a "Delay Verification Form" or something similar to this.. It details your flight, when it was *scheduled* to depart and when it really did depart and arrive; and states you were on it (or supposed to be on it)

I recall most also include a generic reason for the delay as well.

You can get these from the carrier at the airport on the day of departure or arrival, but once a few days has past, it normally now can only be obtained from the carriers main office as flight records like these aren't stored on the airlines active mainframe worldwide for long periods of time, but can be retrieved by the HQ office from their off-line archives.

I might contact them again and ask for a Delay Verification Form or whatever they call that form/document internally.

Travel Safe,

Canada
Level Contributor
4,200 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelled flight documentation

There is a link on the United webite to request a Verification Letter. Search for "delay".

I have requested them in the past, and received them very quickly, including a reason for the flight cancellation. When I requested one just after Christmas, I was told there was a backlog, and I haven't received it yet. I printed off the flight details from Flightaware.com and have submitted it to my insurer, they haven't responded yet to say whether that is sufficient.

3. Re: Cancelled flight documentation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 11, 2014