We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

We are flying from Canada through San Fran to Sydney in February and I am trying to find out about the on-board entertainment with mixed results. Do you know if there are seat back movies offered or is it a drop down shared screen? I need to plan what I'm taking aboard with me! Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

Hi,

At present, both of UA's US->SYD services are on B747-400's and that model, in Economy, uses the older style main screen located at the front of each cabin, with a few smaller monitors around for those in restricted viewing positions.

Here's a good photo of what the cabin, and screen placement looks like:

thebat-sf.com/2012/…

Travel Safe,

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

They do have one 747 equipped with WiFi, but the chances of you getting that specific aircraft are small.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,614 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

They post all the Hemispheres magazines on-line and you can view the monthly entertainment schedule here. Unfortunately, they don't pre-post anything, so January's edition is showing:

ink-live.com/emagazines/hemispheres-united-a…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1,103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

I did this flight in July and there were no seat entertainment screens, just the old screens thruought the cabin.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

on the last UA transpacific flight i was on it appeared they had upgraded the cabin screens. picture quality in comparison to the previous ones was 100% better.

Edited: 11:18 pm, January 06, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

Yup, the overhead screens are flat screen/LCD, miles better than the old CRTs.

As Geo says there's one 747 equipped with wifi, with full deployment to happen throughout 2013. This wifi will serve two purposes. It will stream AVOD to passengers' wifi enabled devices (PC, iPad, etc), supposedly for free. There will also be Internet wifi for a charge. Pax on the one enabled 747 are being charged $20 for this, which IMO is very good value (Lufthansa charged $30 for its short lived service in the mid naughties) so maybe that's a promo rate. And UA does plan to install in seat power in Y so you can stay connected for more than your device's juice will allow.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,551 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

If you are coming from Kelowna why not consider the daily Air Canada direct flight Vancouver to Sydney? AC use 777-200LR aircraft with individual seat back IFE. I have found that to be a very good service except for departing YVR at 11:45pm. There are cheaper flight options available to SYD through the US, but I prefer direct flights wherever possible.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

IMO, United's antiquated in-flight entertainment is not worth the slight discount over competitors like Qantas, especially for the 14-hour flight from SFO to Sydney. It sounds like you are out of luck since you already have tickets, so be sure to pack a book, tablet, and iPod!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

qantas dont fly from SFO to SYD.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Movies on United flight from San Francisco to Sydney Aus?

They did the last time I took them, which I will admit was in 2009.