We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 hours in between connecting flights,will it be sufficient?

2 posts
Save Topic
2 hours in between connecting flights,will it be sufficient?

Hi all,

my flight from xian-Bangkok Don mueang, arrives at 6.40pm via air asia, and my next connecting flight is at 9pm, bkk-kl.. Via air asia too. Would it be okay if I book the connecting flight? Will I make it on time? Pls advise. Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 hours in between connecting flights,will it be sufficient?

Hi,

"Would it be okay if I book the connecting flight?"

This combination; Xian-Bangkok and Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur, at present, can NOT be booked as a formal connection-- in AirAsia's terms, called Fly Thru service.

As such, if you booked this, each sector-- Xian-Bangkok and Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur would be wholly separate and wholly unrelated matters.

That means IF for ANY reason you don't make it to Don Muang in time for your DMK-KUL flight, EVEN IF that reason is the 'fault' of your first AirAsia flight arriving late, they have NO liability to you for your now missed DMK-KUL flight.

You would be subject to whatever is the terms of your second ticket for re-booking, if permitted.

If I were you, I'd look for a flight with a little more time between-- as once you arrive in DMK from Xian you will be required to clear Thai Immigration and Customs, reclaim your bags and then check in with AirAsia again.

Remember that they have a :45 deadline for check-in for all flights, so you'll need to be fully checked in for your DMK-KUL flight before this time.

Travel Safe.

Edited: 12:45 pm, January 02, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 hours in between connecting flights,will it be sufficient?

Are you sure you will be flying from BKK (Suvarnabhumi Airport)?

I think AirAsia only flies Don Mueang DMK to KUL.

In a nutshell:

Changing airports would likely not work due to time required for immigration and transfers.

if it is from the same airport, it can work if the flight is on time (immigration/baggage collection about 30-60minutes and more). If not, you will have to buy a new ticket for DMK-KUL.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 hours in between connecting flights,will it be sufficient?

Hi,

As of 01OCT12, ALL AirAsia services to/from Bangkok, now use DMK, there is no AirAsia services to Suvarnabhumi (BKK) any more.

So, if the OP is planning to use AirAsia-- domestic, international or otherwise, they will be arriving and departing from DMK, not BKK.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 1:01 pm, January 02, 2013
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 hours in between connecting flights,will it be sufficient?

Flight from dmk-kul is at the same airport which is Don mueang, so I'm assuming that I have enough time though it'll be slightly tight.. Since I'm a malaysian, I won't need visa to enter Thailand because of the ASEAN exemption. Thanks for the heads up!

5. Re: 2 hours in between connecting flights,will it be sufficient?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, January 06, 2014