We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

packing liquids in checked airline luggage

New York City, New...
8 posts
packing liquids in checked airline luggage

I must carry at least a quart of distilled water in my shipped luggage on flights. I prefer to use a plastic bottle but find that the pressure in the 'shipped baggage hold' causes the plastic bottles to leak. Does anyone know of either a light metal or plastic bottle that will not leak?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

there's gotta be something, we are always packing bottles of something we want to bring along in checked baggage, try google or other search engine and see what comes up, I'm sure its been asked before.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
41,776 posts
108 reviews
2. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

If you are doing this for medical reasons, you might want to ask your doctor for suggestions.

And if you are not, then you probably don't need the water I assume?

Your destination might also have distilled water for sale.

Edited: 1:57 pm, December 31, 2012
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
8,882 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

The pressue in the hold is the same as in the rest of the plane.

How about a thermos bottle?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
291 reviews
4. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

Never experienced that and have hauled plenty of liquids over the years both in planes and cars to lower pressure elevation. If it's an issue, just get a metal water bottle with a screw top. They're commonplace and available at any outdoor store and likely even at big box retailers like Walmart. REI would be a good place to check.

As noted, the cargo hold is same pressure as cabin - somewhere about 8,000 feet at maximum. That's for sure enough to make it noticeable in plastic, although I've never experienced leakage.

Good luck.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

You can buy Sigg aluminium bottles at good outdoor / sports shops and they're pressure proof to all intents and purposes, certainly a lot more than 8 thousand feet pressure proof, guaranteed.

http://www.sigg.com/

You can get often get cheaper "own make" versions at the same shops and they're just as good.

Having said this it's a little bit of overkill really, I've carried standard glass bottles of whisky and wine in hold baggage all the time and never had a leak, but I accept that if you need a guarantee, you need a guarantee.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
17,557 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

I often pack liquids inside a ziplock bag, just to be sure.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
117 reviews
7. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

I recently took plastic bottles of Gin, JackD, and Vodka on a vacation, packed it in my checked luggage, no problems. Of course they were empty on the return trip.....

Edited: 10:08 pm, December 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
85 reviews
8. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

Make sure all of the air is out of the bottle. It is the air that expands and pushes fluid out. Pack the bottle in the middle of your case with supportive items around it. Make sure the lid is tight. Put it in a plastic bag.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,882 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

I second the ziplock bag. We use stacks for every trip... we even have a giant one for our laundry.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: packing liquids in checked airline luggage

Would a non opened bottle of tonic water survive without leaking?

Many thanks