We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Harleysville...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

I just found really cheap air prices from Trenton/Mercer Airport NJ to Orlando FL in May 2013. We always fly from either Newark or Phila Airports on either USAir or United.

Looking for information on the Trenton/Mercer Airport (they don't have a website) - parking, what is terminal like (besides small), is there a place to grab a snack, etc...?

Also, what is Frontier Airlines like? They don't seem to get very good reviews and most of the bad ones are really bad - flight delays, cancellations, service, cleanliness, etc....

I value the opinions of travelers on TA, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks - Beth

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Frontier is fine. They have some decent policies that allow you a bit better flexibility after purchase than other airlines, but they are also tracking nearly last on on-time departures over the past few months. Their delays aren't all that long on average. You wouldn't be connecting on your flight so delay might not bother you too much.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

We live near the Mercer Airport and I have been curious about the new service offered by Frontier. We fly to Fort Myers, but since Frontier only offers one plane per day, two days per week, I have been hesitant to book with them. I'm not sure what would happen if the flight is cancelled due to weather, mechanical problems, etc. Would you have to wait until the next schedule flight day (Tuesday/Saturday for Fort Myers). I'm not sure how often the flights run to Orlando, but I would ask this question up front before purchasing tickets.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Hi,

"Looking for information on the Trenton/Mercer Airport (they don't have a website)"

The airport does in fact have a website, but it's under the larger State of New Jersey's web presence, and further under the Mercer County sub-pages. It can be found here:

state.nj.us/counties/…

Travel Safe,

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Hi,

"I'm not sure what would happen if the flight is cancelled due to weather, mechanical problems, etc. Would you have to wait until the next schedule flight day"

==> That IS a legitimate issue.. However, one thing that works for you is the fact that Frontier has interline agreements with other carriers. This "interline" agreement is what allows tickets from one carrier- like Frontier- to be accepted and used by another carrier..

By contrast, carriers like Spirit Airlines, does not..

The thing that hurts flying to/from Mercer is that there's presently no other commercial carrier options to/from Mercer.. So even if the Frontier ticket is interline-able to another airline, unless you're willing to go to another nearby airport, there's no other airlines at Mercer in which you can interline it to.

Travel Safe,

Harleysville...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Thank You!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

I am looking at a very similar situation - Trenton is SOO much closer than PHL. However the Frontier reviews are pretty crappy - 52% out of 165 reviews. Not good.

I take it with a grain of salt, since some people complain when there is no entertainment on the plane and the food is crappy (bring a book and a snack)!

Technically, as long as the plane gets you from point A to point B.....

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

"52% out of 165 reviews."

<sigh>

But it ISN'T a fair sample. Far more people with gripes pause to write reviews, some completely irrational, as they have no clue as to their responsibilities in travel.

Frontier cancels *very* few flights and their delay is not long on average. If you aren't connecting, or leave enough time if you are connecting, Frontier can be a good option.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Sorry - should have said, I am planning on booking, regardless of the 52%. I agree, people (not on TA) tend to write reviews based on bad experiences.

$335 RT from Trenton to Tampa, then from Ft. Lauderdale back to Trenton, for 2 people?! I'm sold.

NJ Shore
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Just be careful booking a Trenton flight if you have time constraints.

We were due to fly back from Orlando yesterday. First the flight was delayed. Finally after a few hours waiting we were told that although the FAA and airport were both open/ok to fly, the Trenton airport runway is short and the pilot didn't think the cold rain was safe to land in. It was a 1pm flight on Monday and we were told they planned another flight to get us home at 10:30 pm Tuesday night. Several of the passengers, including us, were concerned about the very late flight in case there was an issue again, so we got a flight to Newark, and found ground transport back to the Trenton airport. We finally got back to Trenton after midnight, thanks to a very prompt and fast driving limo van driver and an additional cost for said van.

They said we would get a credit on frontier for a future flight but I am not sure I want to try again unless frontier gets new pilots out the runway gets extended.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frontier Airlines from Trenton NJ to Orlando FL?

Thanks for the update. I was looking into booking a flight to Jacksonville for a wedding in April, but I am afraid of this type of problem and your post just made up my mind.... we'll book with a major carrier out of one of the major local airports. The cost savings would not be worth the worry and hassle of being stuck in Mercer with no alternate way to get to Jacksonville in time for the wedding.