We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charterflight with Condor

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Charterflight with Condor

Hi,

we like to go to Jamaica 2013, Condor has the best option, a direct flight to Montego Bay from Frankfurt, Germany, but they only fly twice a week, if I enter the same date and all on the Lufthansa page it comes up with the Condor flight, do you think it's safe to book, or will we be stuck in Jamica if anything goes wrong?

Going back on wendsday instead of sunday wouldn't be much of a problem, but if they do book us on the next sunday it would, I know that they put us on the next available flight with open seats, but that can mean anything.

Would you take the chance, or go for travel time from 24 to 36 hours with 1 - 2 stopp overs to use a major carrier, that time we will loose on our destination, on the way back the schedule is not that bad 15 hours verses 10.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charterflight with Condor

It comes down to your attitude to risk. Flying with a scheduled carrier will take longer and probably cost more but you will have a greater number of options if there are any problems with your outbound/inbound flight.

Flying with a quicker/cheaper charter airline is ok as long as nothing goes wrong as they are unlikely to have agreements in place with other airlines in the event of any problems.

Nobody knows if Condor will have problems with your specific flights until the day of departure, you could in a worst case find yourself stuck in Frankfurt for a day or two until any problem is resolved.

Could be worth paying extra for the scheduled airline for peace of mind but it comes down to your attitude to risk.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charterflight with Condor

Not sure if I understand. What exactly are you afraid of? That the flight on one day may have a technical problem or what else you are thinking of?

There are many destinations with only limited flight per week per airline, not only for charter. LH for example to a couple of Asian destinations. Not many flights have problems to take off. And even if so, they usually also have agreements with other airlines.

If you plan with connection flights, in theory you have a higher risk of missing a connecting flight.

My first question would: Is Condor in general acceptable for you or not for such a long flight? If yes, go for it.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charterflight with Condor

LH is a scheduled carrier and belongs to Miles and More so does Condor, so how big is the chance that they would rebook us on a different carrier closer to our departures if anything should go wrong with the Condor flight?

Condor should be ok on a flight so long, cattle class is never good just slightly better on others.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charterflight with Condor

It is a little bit more complex:

LH does not belong to Miles and More. Miles and More is the LH frequent flyer program.

Condor is partner of Miles&More, but only for award miles and not for status miles.

I think you refer to LH being member of Star Alliance. Condor is not.

LH used to own Condor, later owned part of it, sold parts and finally transfered all remaining stakes to Thomas Cook in 2009.

Lufthansa and Condor still have agreements with each other, for example Miles and More partnership and websales cross-selling activities.

This all has not much to do with the agreements about transferring people on other airlines flights. It depends on the agreements for certain routes. i never experienced any problems when a flight was cancelled (expect Beijing 2010 when all flights to Europe were cancelled) and was always booked to another flight, also other airlines, but this does not happen often on long haul flights. Do you know any example?

Think abut the maybe 400 people. To put them all on the next flight will not be an option. These flights are usually rather full than empty. This is why Condor would need to find an alternative solution anyway!!

If it is the airlines fault, they need to pay for accommodation food etc and also compensation to the passengers. To buy ticket from other airlines is cheaper. Also if their next official flight is only a couple of days later, they could still try to arrange another plane.

If you feel better with the scheduled flight, book it, but I would still go one the direct flight without any worries (even though I personally would not fly Condor anymore if there is any way around it).

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charterflight with Condor

Thanks, that put my mind to rest.

I never flown with Condor but the advantages, direct flight and resonable price out weight the disadvantages, much more travel time, loosing 2 days in Jamaica, having to get a new ESTA.

Even if I get a flight for about the same price elsewhere, if I have a 15 hour layover in New York for instance, will make it much more expensive than the direct flight, also less chances to loose my luggage ; )).

I'll go ahead and bite the bullet, enduring 20 hours on Condor.

Did you ever try the premium economy?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charterflight with Condor

No. Main difference is 15cm more space. Can make a difference if you are tall as the space between seats at Condor is limited. Also you get free alcohol in case you are frustrated and cannot otherwise stand it. ;-)

Comfort Class makes a difference as seats are different.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charterflight with Condor

I'm not but my hubby is, can't drink want to pick up a rental car after the flight, but for the way back it should be worse the money, red eye, train and than bed at the end.

Thanks cookie2011

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charterflight with Condor

Understand! :-)

Wishing you a nice flight and a great holiday!

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charterflight with Condor

Thank you!!

10. Re: Charterflight with Condor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 01, 2014