We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Hi Folks,

We are going to the Bahamas in Nov 2013 and are looking at flight prices just now as we want to get the travel sorted out ASAP as hotel is booked. BA offer the best flights for us but they are so expensive, more than £220 more than a flight to farther destinations like Cancun and around £300 more expensive than a flight to similar distance destinations like Barbados.

Can any of you offer an opinion as to why this is and also are they likely to come down in price?

Will post this on the Bahamas forum also

Thanks in advance

Ronnie

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

BA have a sale that started today.I would recheck prices over the next day or so.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Airline pricing is very complex, and is also based on a whole load of factors other than distance travelled - basically, airlines do what they can to maximise income from their fixed assets.

That said, BA normally have a seat sale around this time (as rapidex says, the latest one has just started and runs until 22nd January), so you might now be able to get those flights at a better price.

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Thanks rapidex & wirewiper,

I have checked the BA sale out and they are still showing the same price. I will watch it over the next few weeks to see if they come down.

Ronnie

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

IMHO you are looking/booking WAY too early.

BA and most major airlines work on the basis that if you book now you are doing it because (a) you don't know any better and think furthest out prices are cheapest, or (b) you really want some specific dates and arent bothered about prices.

I would wait until the next set of sales, which will be sometime between Feb-June.I would not expect them to come down between now and the next set of sales but there is of course no harm in looking.

Either that or suck it up now and don't look again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Flight prices aren't based on the distance you fly, it's based upon what the airline can sell the tickets for. BA have a monopoly on the NAS route and offer a good standard of product so you pay for that.

If you're priced out of the market look via MIA to maybe save a few bucks but cause a lot of aggro.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

LHR - NAS is almost always full! And there is no competition on this route. And it is an island! FYI this flight continues to a second destinations (GCM - Grand Cayman - or PLS - Providenciales - depending on the day). So don't expect much price improvement. Either book it at the price you found or go via MIA which should be less expensive.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
579 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Yep, supply and demand !

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Would it be any cheaper to fly to the US first, & then catch a 2nd flight to the destination ?.

Edited: 9:44 am, December 22, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

Would it be any cheaper to fly to the US first, & then catch a 2nd flight to the destination ?.

--------

There's a wonderful thing called the Internet. You may have heard of it. Word on the street is some travel agents have websites that allow you to price up itineraries just like what you're asking.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA to Nassau - Very Expensivde

O2002 - " there' a wonderful thing called the internet. You may have heard of it ".

I'm not sure what value your last post has at all to the OP & their query ? .