We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

"Passengers on an Egypt Air flight to Kuwait became the unwilling participants in an all-too-real version of the action thriller Snakes on a Plane this week, after a cobra escaped from one man's hand luggage."

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9723720/Sn…

If this had been on a flight from Europe, would everyone be entitled to 400 Euros compensation? It can't be an extraordinary circumstance, as there was a movie about it 6 years ago :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,555 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

Wonder if it belonged to a passenger who was trying to avoid being snaked for excess baggage charges.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

Wondering though whether it is that easy to find a snake when security screening a passenger... In other words, could this have been stopped by the Cairo security. Hope this stupid passenger will be charged with the diversion cost and a heavy fine!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

Hope this stupid passenger will be charged with the diversion cost and a heavy fine!

After being bitten by his own snake,this might become unneccessary.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

@Rapidex: :-)

Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

This would be the end of me. I would never fly again. Omg.. I can see the therapy bills already. I am irrationally afraid of snakes. I had one in my car once (non poisonous but still!! ). Shocked I am still alive to tell the tale of heroically pulling off to the side and running screaming from my little Honda while 7 months pregnant. Can't run off a plane mid air!

Omg. I am going to have nightmares just thinking about this. Yikes

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

What a dreadful thought.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

Oh god, that's horrible, and there was I thinking a one hour delay out of London was poor this morning:))

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

How on earth could he have got through security with a snake, I can't even get through with a pair of nail clippers.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

Hi,

I've had two cases of pet rats/mice get loose on the aircraft.. One case was post-9/11, the other pre-9/11..

I don't know what the security process looks like on that sector, but I suspect that like it is in most places, the reality is that it's not and never will be 100% fail-proof..

... I do agree that if they're diverted for a passenger misconduct case, that the carrier-- as well as other passengers-- have a case for recovering damages. I'd tend to raise that bar to say that this would apply only if they were charged and convicted of an associated crime- therefore the costs would be rolled into the sentencing aspect.

Travel Safe,

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,884 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snakes on a Plane: cobra forces plane into emergency landing

Obviously a slippery character! I'm appalled at this.

Of all the things I have to remember, I'll now be afraid to fly without Samuel L. Jackson sat next to me!

Jules