We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Lincoln
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Has anyone else returned from (short haul) only to find their lips and face swelling up, hives, rash, breathing problems etc? This has just happened to me for the second time immediately after a flight.

I'm not very allergic (mild hay fever) and I ate nothing on the plane. It's been suggested that something airborne in the recirculated air has triggered this. I'm keen to find out more, as I have more travel planned.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Common causes of hives are pollen, insect bites or stress. You need to work through this problem with your doctor.

If it is something airborne then, as has been suggested, wear a face mask while travelling. True you will need to remove it while dining but it may help all the same.

Agree we are not all medical experts but what we do have is experience.

Cheers.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Face masks

They work very well if they have a an airtight seal around the nose and mouth.

In a flight lasting a few hours they will only be effective as long as that seal is maintained

IF and it is conjecture, there is a pollutant or irritant in the air, glue vapour, perfume for example from a fellow passenger etc then that is likely to be a constant presence

As soon as the seal on the mask is broken or indeed not established at the outset then the wearer will be inhaling the irritant, mask almost useless.

What about eating?

The masks effectiveness reduces when it gets moist from say exhalation and will need to be changed

This would require a change of mask requiring the wearer to hold their breath whilst swapping over, requiring discipline and practice.

I chuckle when I see people wearing face masks in polluted cities,

Some don't cover their noses, some remove them to eat whilst walking, to talk on the phone etc

Effective in a hospital environment

But by members of the public

I doubt it

Edited: 4:09 am, January 08, 2013
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

It could be the cleaning product used to clean the cabins..there may be something in the product they use that you are allergic to...if your sitting on a seat, touching the trays, arm rests, then that will bring on a reaction and only occur when you fly.

Ask the carrier what products their cleaners use

Edited: 4:23 am, January 08, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Oh good gracious. This thread had been inactive for a month before it was reactivated by the spam in reply #29. Let go!!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Don't keep bumping it up then Nick

Just let it fade away

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Hate to bump this thread again, but Leuca I love this:

"

Face masks

They work very well if they have a an airtight seal around the nose and mouth.

"

I'm picturing people trying to board wearing their scuba gear.

Mind you, wearing a mask covering your nose and mouth with an airtight seal would be very effective at taking your mind off your allergies (and pretty much everything else). And think how quiet the flight would be!

1 post
Save Reply
37. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Hello,

My daughter has the same reaction on aeroplanes and hotel rooms. Aeroplanes are the worst and the reaction happens a few hours later when off the flight.

Scary as she's only 4yrs

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

In that case Victoria, suggest air and hotel travel be avoided.

And as for the suggestion to find out what chemicals the airlines uses to clean. gimme a break.....

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

Airplanes make me sneeze so I take a long acting anti-histamine at least 30 minutes before I board which brings the sneezing to manageable levels.

On the other hand, a life time of not travelling would be very sad, so I assume the mother of the allergic 4 year old has taken her for some serious testing.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Air travel allergy to air conditioning

has taken her for some serious testing.

------

Including the sun tan creams, lotions, different foods, and any other common factors different when travelling. Or the stress of course, as said in a post above. Could be a vicious circle, parents fuss over kid, kid gets stressed, kid gets rash, parents get more stressed, rinse and repeat.

Any or all are IMO far more likely to be a cause than "cool air"