We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Returning LHR-SEA December 20th Opinions please on whether or not I can bring crackers in my carry-on bag. Is the snap considered and explosive? I would be quite irritated if they were confiscated at Heathrow. I do not want to check luggage. Thanks in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
53,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

The CAA allow crackers in hand baggage, but advise that you check with your airline as some do not allow them on board. If you've booked with BA then crackers will be a nonstarter as the airline does not allow them to be carried in hand baggage; they may be placed in checked luggage only.

caa.co.uk/docs/1219/srg_dgo_WhatCanICarry201…

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

we wanted to take some to the USA too a few years ago and made some enquiries with our airline.

it was suggested they would be confiscated (in sydney) and that they were considered 'fireworks' and could not be put in checked in luggage.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

You can purchase these many, many places in the Seattle area. I would probably not waste my money on something that may be confiscated.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Is this what you are referring to?

www.christmas-crackers-usa.com/faqs.htm

If so, as they do contain a tiny amount of explosive, I'm pretty sure not allowed. I'm also not sure if they explosive they use can be detected by the explosive trace detection machines they use in airports. If so, you may light up like a Christmas tree if your bags get swabbed. I would not risk the potential hassle.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Thanks for the info about BA which is the airline I am flying.

I have the standard UK Christmas Crackers that are imported into the US but I was thinking of buying the much more expensive ones with worthwhile 'trinkets'. These I have never seen in Seattle. I guess my family will have to settle for the Tom Thumb ones.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Deleted

Edited: 1:58 am, December 04, 2012
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
33,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Found this link on the MAN website listing which airlines allow and don't allow Christmas Crackers

manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/…crackers

Just wondering though since the airline does not carry out bag searches, how they would know what you had in your hand or hold bags? I suppose they could ask you at security which airline you are flying with and confiscate them on your behalf but would they actually do this?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
18,857 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Some airports stop random passengers in security and swab their person and luggage for explosives. For some reason they always stop me, I must look like a mad bomber <eye roll>

What you could do, Seattle Sophie, which I have done, is carefully open one end of the cheap crackers, shake out the nasty trinket and refill with something better; I often put Swiss chocolates in as well. Then reseal the end and you're good to go :-)

seattle
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Good suggestion YorkFoodie. I also like the idea of chocolates.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas crackers in carry-on bag.

Seattle Sophie--have you every checked Costco for those crackers? At least here in Canada Costco sells some above average trinket style crackers.

Get answers to your questions
Recent Conversations