2012/12/02 AA49 11:30am to 3:45pm Direct CDG to DFW (old 767) all with Miles
Ok. Need your help on what are my rights and what I can do about my massively delayed flight:
--All Boarded by 11:30am.
--Take off delayed by 1.5 hours due to issue found on wing and was fixed and documented as per Pilot announcement.
--30 min into flight, pilot announces we are rerouting to London due to air pressure regulator/systems failure(can only be controlled manually at the time), pilot maintained altitude below 10K feet. Water/juice and snack bar offerred
--stuck in LHR for 3 hours in plane while work was being done, parts picked up from storage and installed.
--Lunch was served at 5pm CET, should have rather been at around 12pm CET
--While in flight, Pilot states they must land redirect to JFK as their can not reach DFW without surpassing regulated flight hours. Pilot stated they must switch crews at JFK, hopefully land and crew just come on board without us switching out
--Light snack(pizza) was served at 11pm CET
--Landed in JFK at 6pm EST, was now told that we have to exit, go through customs and pickup baggage and get reticketed for the same flight and drop bags off, reason as per pilot was customs in DFW would be closed by the time we get there 11-12am CST
--went through customs, no new ticket/boarding pass or luggage tags were needed, just went through customs and redropped off bags and went through security again. Therefore still technically the same flight
--departed JFK at 9:30pm EST
--Refreshments and snack bars were offered between JFK and DFW and about 6 hours since last "light snack" was offered at 11pm CET. Sandwiches/chips etc were available ONLY for purchase.
--Landed in DFW at approx midnight CST.
Total delay of approx 8.25 Hours
1) Whats the best way to file a complaint
2) Does this fall under EU 261/2004 as being over 4 hours in total delay? Even if you exclude customs and rechecking in JFK, it still easily amounts to over 6 hours in delays. How can I approach AA about this?
I have never filed a complaint looking for compensation, just wondering what would be the best approach for this. Should I play it dumb and just complain first via email and then talk about 261/2004 after their initial offer?