We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Names on flights

Cardigan, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Names on flights

Because I am usually known by my middle name (which does appear on my passport) and my husband is normally known as Jeff rather than Jeffrey I entered these on the travel bookings for two flights - then noticed that names had to be exactly as shown on our passports. I tried to change them and there was a huge fee. Is this going to be a problem when we turn up at the airport?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Names on flights

In all probability it will be a problem but it could depend on the staff on duty on the day - as you say the names on your tickets must match the names on your passport.

Jeff Sharples could be a totally different person to Jeffrey Sharples.

If you want to ensure you get on the flight I'm afraid you'll have to get the names changed paying any necessary fees - I'm sure you wont make this mistake again.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Names on flights

Hi

Who did you book with? I've made minor changes like this free of charge with Ryanair and Easyjet. If it is one of them just call their customer service number and tell them your problem. I'm sorry I can't advise you about any other airlines but I'm sure someone else on here can.

Jackie

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Names on flights

Yes, I would call them, but I would suspect you need to change this. You need to book with your real first and last name as shown on your passport, not names you prefer to use.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Names on flights

Yes there will be a problem. Names have to be exactly correct as per passport, regardless.

Call the airline.

Cardigan, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Names on flights

Thanks for your messages. I contacted Easyjet customer services as suggested and they very kindly took pity on me and changed the names for free.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Names on flights

I'm so glad, now have a great trip

Jackie

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Names on flights

I tried to change them and there was a huge fee

===================================

I suspect they thought you were asking about transferring the tickets to other people.

EasyJet have corrected the names for you, I see. I've seen posts about Ryanair doing the same.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Names on flights

Easyjet are usually quite good at things like that, much better than the more expensive airlines.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Names on flights

>> Names have to be exactly correct as per passport<<

Not always. In October I travelled from Portland to Vancouver on Air Canada with the ticket giving "Nick" rather than the "Nicholas" on my passport. No questions asked.

Mind you, the passenger details on the airline web site used "Nicholas", so that maybe eased things.

10. Re: Names on flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, December 17, 2013