We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss air SFO-Zurich-Florence - carry on or check baggage

South San...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Swiss air SFO-Zurich-Florence - carry on or check baggage

(re-posting this from Italy forum)

Talking about posting at the last minute....I'm packed and ready to go. My carry-on is 21", fits Swiss's dimensions just fine. The weight it over 8kg (17lbs) sneaking up to 19+ lbs per my bathroom scale. Is this something they would make me check?

It's been so long since I've flown international. Would I have to go through customs anyway in Zurich (so carryon or checking doesn't really matter?) or in Florence? Have you had good experience with this airline or connections?

I was so proud to be packing light to enable a carry-on but may need to rearrange some conceit :-).

Thanks for your help!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss air SFO-Zurich-Florence - carry on or check baggage

{Also re-posted from Italy forum}

Always assume that an airline's restrictions on luggage mean what they say.

You will go through Immigration (Passport Control) at Zurich, as that is the point at which you enter the Schengen Treaty area.

Your checked luggage (if any) will be checked through to Florence and will go through Customs there. Customs formalities usually consist of walking through a door labelled "Nothing to declare".

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,142 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss air SFO-Zurich-Florence - carry on or check baggage

"The weight it over 8kg (17lbs) sneaking up to 19+ lbs per my bathroom scale. Is this something they would make me check?"

It could depend on the check in staff on duty - the Swiss weight limit for hand baggage is 8kg so don't be shocked if you need to check it.

It could also be lighter/heavier than 19+ lbs as I doubt any bathroom scales are 100% accurate.

South San...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss air SFO-Zurich-Florence - carry on or check baggage

Much appreciated - thank you. I'll err on the side of caution, rearrange some things and take a small(er) carryon and check the "former " carry on....

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss air SFO-Zurich-Florence - carry on or check baggage

LX is not that picky in general, but as it was mentioned, it all depend on the staff. But security might be annoying regarding liquids (creams, antiperspirant, ...)... On long haul in general, I check in my luggage as I find it more comfortable. But of course this is a matter of personal preference. Finally, LX is one of the best airlines in Europe. Enjoy your flights!

5. Re: Swiss air SFO-Zurich-Florence - carry on or check baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, December 17, 2013