We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

I think this has been asked before but I don't find the thread or remember the answer so I'll ask again.

Say I book a long-haul flight with a domestic connection, for instance EDI-LHR-JFK in WT+. If there are no reward seats on the EDI-LHR part but there are reward seats in Club World on the LHR-JFK part, can I call BA and use Avios to upgrade just the long-haul flight (as far as I can tell it's not possible to do so online)?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

have you tried the flyers talk forums (BA ) ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

It will depend on your ticket. If its a real cheap ticket, usually you cannot upgrade. But if you paid a higher fare, you could ring them.

You know, you can have 6 people sitting on the same flight in economy, and everyone has the same service, same everything, and they've all paid a different fare.

Good luck ... it would be nice to do an upgrade.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

"It will depend on your ticket. If its a real cheap ticket, usually you cannot upgrade. But if you paid a higher fare, you could ring them."

Unless I'm mistaken, all WT+ tickets are upgradable with points, no?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

"Unless I'm mistaken, all WT+ tickets are upgradable with points, no?"

Correct only (a couple of exceptions - cruise tickets, etc.).

Not sure on your original question, though.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

There will always be exceptions to the rules.... so good luck! And let us know how you go.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

Lex, AFAIK the answer is yes you can upgrade with Avios but it needs to be done on the phone.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

Lex,the answer is yes you can upgrade the LHR-JFK sector with avios if there are seats available.As pointed out by Scots-Al,all WT+ tickets are upgradeable with the odd exceptions.

You will not be able to upgrade online.First try a dummy booking LHR-JFK using avios for CW seats.That will tell you if seats are available.Then call reservations for the upgrade.Even if the dummy booking shows no seats call anyway,revenue management will often release a couple of extra seats,as there are so many daily seats in CW to JFK.

If all that fails,and do keep trying if you are unsuccessful,you may find a cheap buy up on the day of travel.I think £499 is the current going rate.Good luck.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

Thanks guys, I thought as much.

9. Re: Upgrading part of a BA ticket with points

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, December 17, 2013