We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best option for tailbone injury on long flight

Wilmington, North...
4 posts
best option for tailbone injury on long flight

Hi all,

Just wondering what options anyone has used on long flight for tailbone injuries. Regular pillow, doughnut, cocxyx pillow, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
1. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

This is one of those questions that may be best answered by a doctor or chiropractor.....

TA members can probably give you some limited advice on comfort (advice that would apply to 99.99% of the people on here), but unless there's someone on here who specializes in lower-lumbar injuries....not sure this is the place to go.

Wilmington, North...
4 posts
2. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

I thought maybe someone could recommend their favorite pillow. It's a very old injury that only bothers me on long flights.

So if anyone has a favorite brand let me know.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
3. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

Oh, okay. Assumed the injury was recent. Last time my lower back hurt (I know tailbone is technically different), I used a cocxyx pillow combined with a regular pillow. Really, whatever works for you. How long is the flight?

Wilmington, North...
4 posts
4. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

Well it's kind of an epic journey from Wilmington nc to Cochin, Kerala, India. It will take me from 9am dec. 26 to 8am dec. 28. Multiple flights and layovers, so I can use my pillow at the airports too.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
52,842 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

A firm seat base will offer support to the tender areas; a small pillow to the lumbosacral area will support and cushion as well.

Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

As one who just flew 12 hours to Hawaii I can give some advice. I broke my tailbone in July, and flew in October

I bought one of those cushions with the space cut out at the back. Yeah....pretty useless. What helped? Sitting straight up, no recline. That and percacets for the return flight.

Getting up periodically to relieve the pressure helped too. Get an aisle seat to enable easy u p and down.

I regretted booking United for this trip vs Air Canada as we would have had the lie flat pods on AC. Not on United sadly.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
16,169 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

I too suffer from severe lower back pain. I have found that the only way to avoid pain on a long hlaul flight is a flatbed seat in Business Class.

Failing that, an aisle seat so that I can get up and walk around or sometimes just stand in the aisle next to my seat for a while.Iindustrial strength pain killers also help somewhat.

west midlands
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

After several spinal operations I'm left with cronic lower back and tail bone pain. On a long haul flight I use a memory foam pillow to sit on and airline pillow behind lower back, and as previously suggested sit upright to relieve tailbone pressure. Also take strong prescription pain relief. Oh and don't keep looking at the clock. Safe and happy travels to all.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

I agree with all the above, from experience and would add I use heat pads on back to help stop the muscles getting cold and spasms, also drink lots of water to keep the muscles around injury hydrated, I have to agree sitting upright is better for me personally, and take some pain meds before you get in a pain cycle.

deb

Wilmington, North...
4 posts
10. Re: best option for tailbone injury on long flight

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful.