We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United's New 787 Dreamliner

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
United's New 787 Dreamliner

Some really neat virtual tours and videos on the UA 787.

https:/…Default.aspx

Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United's New 787 Dreamliner

I flew IAH to LAX on my way home to Australia a few days ago. (have to admit I deliberately took the long way home from BOS to travel on the Dreamliner)

First thing that I noticed was the "New car smell"....everything was obviously brand new and unmarked.

I was in E+ and the leg room was superb for my 6' 5" self compared to the 747 I flew immediately after. The seat is wider which is a really good move and I noticed that when I reclined, the cushion/base moved forward about an inch or so. Seat was comfortable.

The seat back entertainment was good and the screen display quite sharp. I liked the ability to make a song playlist from the good selection of audio.

Ceilings are high as I couldn't reach the air vents while still seated and the LED seat light was very effective.

Each seat has a USB port next to the seatback screen unit and there are 2 x 120v outlets per row of 3 seats. You would have to be very good friends with the person in the middle as both outlets are on the front of the seat underneath the cushion - if you didn't know the person in the middle you would be arrested for indecent assault while trying to plug your appliance in. The outlets are directly under where one's thighs would be.

Toilets were an improvement over current fleet - well you'd expect so wouldn't you - better fittings, functionality etc.

Bigger windows were good and the electronic tinting vey effective. Full throttle take off noise was noticeably quieter as was cruising noise BUT before actual take off when the engines were being spun up to speed there was some quite bad resonance type vibration which was very objectionable. - I haven't heard/felt that sort of thing before.

The centre overhead lockers are not a real good design as when open the lip at the front is only just big enough to prevent the bags etc from falling out - I did have to be careful when opening as my bag did want to come out by itself.

Overall I enjoyed the flight and is a great improvement over the current fleet. Was a real disappointment spending 13 hours in a 747 straight after flying in the Dreamliner.

Despite taking 30 hours to get home instead of the usual 23 or so it was worth the extra time to have the chance to fly in the new Dreamliner.

Edited: 2:39 am, November 27, 2012
2. Re: United's New 787 Dreamliner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, December 16, 2013