We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

Ohio
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

Travelling economy from U.S. to Germany and can either fly on Lufthansa or Singapore Air. Is one better than the other and why?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

Of the two I've only flown Lufthansa and found them to be fine; a notch above the US carriers. So I'd say you couldn't go wrong with them.

But, given their consistent reputation and awards, I suspect others will recommend Singapore. And I certainly wouldn't argue; 5 star rated by Skytrax (one of only six carriers worldwide) and a consistently in the top three in the Airline of The Year awards for the past four years.

www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/5star.htm

worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2012/Airline20…

If I were given your dilemma I'd choose Singapore in an instant, if only to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

As USBT says - Singapore gets my vote, but I haven't flown Lufthansa, so can't comment on them.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

flown both across the atlantic and from singapore to frankfurt and back a few times.

i would go with SQ. nothing really wrong with LH other than the service 'atmosphere' being more relaxed on the asian airline.

disclaimer: i used to be a krisflyer member (well i guess i still am but register my points with UA ff program these days).

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

SQ.

LH is too tight for a long trip.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

Absolutely SQ!

Not all LH flights have IFE...very boring!

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

Another vote for SQ, used both but nothing wrong with LH just SQ offer that litle bit more.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

Agree nothing wrong with Lufthansa but Singapore Airtlines are in my opinion excellent

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,566 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

Just curious? From which airport would you be using Singapore Air?

I didn't realize they flew from the USA to Europe.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

I was a little surprised to find this out, but SQ25 is the airline's flight from JFK to SIN, via FRA. The flight is operated with one of SQ's Airbus A380s, giving an interesting option for the tATL journey.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthansa or Singapore Air?

This is hard because both are good but Singapore is always in the top best airlines of the year so they don't get that for nothing. I've flown them both and if the price schedule is about the same I would go with SQ