We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

Anchorage, Alaska
3 posts
Save Topic
Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

I will be flying on Alaska Airlines from Anchorage, AK to Honolulu pretty soon. The flight leaves Anchorage at like 2:30PM and arrives at Honolulu about 6 hours later. I was wondering when the inflight meal is served, because I would like to eat it at dinner time (5-6ish) so I won't get hungry. I remember on a past flight a few years ago they served the meal pretty much right after the plane took off after they passed around the digeplayers. This is too early for me. Anybody know if things have changed when they begin their meal service?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

I think they are very unlikely to wait until just before landing before serving a meal which is what your timings would imply, so why don't you just have a snack instead of lunch before boarding?

From memory, you have to purchase the food anyway, it's only complementary in first class so you could always bring your own food on board (purchased at the airport or made by yourself) and eat when you want.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

You'll arrive at HNL at 7:25 pm local time, That is, I believe, 6:25 pm Anchorage time. Odds are, I think, you'll be served before 5 pm Anchorage time, but not immediately after liftoff. If this is critical, take the advice above re snacks and/or call the airline.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

What you gonna do??

Go OUT for food??

Anchorage, Alaska
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

Ok I just checked and the plane arrives at Honolulu at 7:30PM Hawaii time, which is 8:30PM Alaska time. Last time the flight was at the exact same time and they served the meal right after takeoff at around 3:00PM Alaska time. That is too early for a dinner!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

"That is too early for a dinner!"

pretend it's a late lunch then.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

Brand0s12,

If the meal time doesn't suit you (if indeed they serve a set meal on what is a domestic flight) then you don't have to eat it. :-)

There are many times that I've declined the meal service (usually when UG'd) on long flights because it didn't fit in with my desired pattern. Either on TATLs from the east coast to London (I want to sleep and in 5 hours I may take breakfast), or on TPACs to Japan and onward where (again) I want to sleep for the first 4-6 hours so I'm (semi) adjusted to local time. And there are also many times when I've succumbed, accepted the meal and then regretted it later.

You can always spend a few $$ at the airport on a sandwich or salad to fit in with your travel pattern.

Edited: 12:49 am, November 14, 2012
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

OP, sorry for mixing up the times, but you got it right. My wife's parents are among those who must eat at the same time, in part due to hypoglycemia, but airlines aren't like cruise ships or restaurants with different meal times for each person, so you just have to roll with the punches. And if you're in economy class, might as well just bring your own snacks, as others suggested.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
434 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

We do the Bellingham to Honolulu quite regularly and there is no free food other than perhaps a bag of pretzals. I'm sure you could buy a snack pack at anytime and eat it when you like.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

Bring your own sandwich and eat it whenever you want!

Only not peanut butter.

Or tuna fish.

Or garlic.

;-)

Anchorage, Alaska
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Meal on Hawaii Alaska Airlines Flight

Okay, so I went on the flight this Thursday. By the time the cart reached my seat, it was about 3:50PM Alaska time. I asked the flight attendant if they would be selling their hot meal later on in the flight, but she said that they won't. They will only be selling the cold picnic pack options later on. So, I purchased the hot meal and later on at about 6:00PM the second food service passed through and indeed all they were selling now were the cold options. I wanted a fruit and cheese platter but they were sold out at this point. So, I had a picnic pack.