We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

I'm sure that people who has been subscribed to Etihad's mailing received a mail on the 6th of November about increasing the baggage allowance from 23kg to 30kg on all their flights for those that travels with Coral Class Economy.

End of this month I will be traveling to Auckland(New Zealand), departing from Brussels(Belgium). As the trip is pretty far away, any extra baggage allowance is of course welcome. But somehow

a) Etihad Airways

b) Virgin Australia

c) Air New Zealand

d) my travel agent

are unable to come to the same answer. The past couple days I've been mailing, calling etc to all 4 of them because the new baggage allowance rule.

Travel Agent:

You may try to check in 30kg from Brussels to Sydney, that should be possible I think. But from Sydney to Auckland, which is operated by Air NZ, that is a different story and they will apply their baggage allowance.

Virigin Australia:

All passengers who is traveling with us in Economy class are allowed to check in 30kg of baggage

Etihad Airways:

Yes we have a new baggage allowance, which also applies to you, so don't worry you will be able to check in 30kg

Air New Zealand:

We honour the allowance which is mentioned on the eticket. If Etihad airlines increased the allowance, the new weight should be mentioned on the ticket then since all flights is booked on the same stock ticket(Etihad). Otherwise we will honour the old one. You could perhaps ask your travel agent or Etihad to change it on the ticket so that there will be no problems at the airport.

So I emailed my travel agent, explaining everything what the airlines told me. And I noticed they didn't know anything about this, so they had to inform with Eithad themselves. After awhile I received a reply from my agent saying that Etihad will not adjust my ticket with the new allowance for free. Nor do they have the authorization from Etihad to do so.

So I called Etihad again and explained everything. The nice lady there told me that I should ignore the 23kg that is mentioned on my ticket an go ahead with the 30kg, no need to reprint my ticket etc. Then I also explained that Air New Zealand will only honour the amount that is mentioned on the ticket. So Etihad advised me to print out the mailing they send regarding the new allowance. And that should be sufficient in case I run into trouble on my way back. Because the return flight will be checked in by Air New Zealand. And they only allow 23kg standard with Economy.

BRU ABU: Etihad Airways EY58

ABU SYD: Etihad Airways EY454

SYD AUCK: Air New Zealand EY4402

AUCK- SYD: Air New Zeland EY4409

SYD ABU: Virgin Australia Int EY6451

ABU BRU: Etihad Airways EY57

As you can see all flights has the same code, despite different carriers.

So I mailed Air New Zealand again to get a confirmation because I am not planning to pay $315, 7kg excess weight because some internal issues between carriers. I booked my ticket with Etihad and when they say you're allowed to check 30kg, 30kg it is!

Air New Zealand:

Sorry printing out the promotional mail will not increase your allowance, we will still honour the weight that is mentioned on the ticket. Please ask Etihad to change the baggage allowance at their side.

I've really had it, just give me my 30kg.

Anyone having the same issue or similar? Anything I can do?

Because 7kg is a big difference, especially for a trip this far.

96 replies to this topic
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

Do you really need 30kgs?

Your original ticket was for 23kgs only so were you planning on taking more and paying excess in the first place?

Your inbound to Auckland won't be a problem as the luggage will be thru checked all the way coming back will be the issue.

You will be coming into summer over here so the only winter clothing you will need is your overcoat, which you can take on board with you.

I travelled for 3 weeks and my luggage weighed 15kgs including toiletries. Summer clothing is so light

Your only option is to try and get Etihad to re-email the ticket with any luck the allowance might be changed on the new email version.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

Yes I do, that way I have some breathing room when it comes to weight.

My original ticket was indeed only 23kg and no I was not planning to pay excess weight as I would have to limit things that I want or need to take as baggage and spend money buying there instead.

From the 23kg, 8kg is already gifts for relatives that are living there. The suitcase weights about 2kg or more, so that leaves me only 12kg something for my stuff which is not a lot since I am staying 5-6 weeks there.

Despite it is summer over there, New Zealand is known for their unpredictable weather and loads of rainfalls. Some thicker and waterproof clothing is mostly welcome too.

I also have a list of things that family here asked me to buy for them. So I expect the same 8kg weight on my way back.

I am sure that I would not fully utilize the 30kg, but having some breathing room like 1-3kg and not to have pay for excess weight is welcome.

The ticket was issued by the travel agent through the website viewtrip.com. The agent said that their are not authorized to make any changes to the ticket without Etihad's permission. So the travel agent contacted Etihad by email and received a reply that if they need to make changes, I have to pay (excess weight or update it to the current ticket price).

But at Etihad's call center they say the opposite thing. They assure me that I don't have to pay anything. And despite that I have told them about Air New Zealand's requirement regarding the baggage allowance stated on the ticket.

They reassure me again that I can ignore the 23kg and go ahead with the 30kg and if I get in trouble I could just show them the mailing that Etihad sent at the check in of Air New Zealand on my way back.

As I'm not fully convinced, I contacted Air New Zealand again and told them what Etihad's call center told me. There they say that by showing the printed mailing, won't give me an increase of the baggage allowance at all. What Air New Zealand need and wants is that the new allowance to be printed on my eticket, as they only honour that and nothing else.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

Of course they won't give you an increase. The baggage restrictions for your entire one way trip on a through ticket are controlled by the first airline you check in with.

That means on the way back you *must* fall into line with Air New Zealand's limits. There is no other option. That is all you get.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

But on their website it says the following thing:

When travel is on both Air New Zealand and other airlines including Air New Zealand codeshare flights, the baggage allowances and charges applied will be those of the carrier operating the longest sector in the checked in journey; this is known as the "Most Significant Carrier" (MSC).

As longest flight is from Zone 3 to Zone 2 which is Sydney to Abu Dhabi, the baggage allowance should be those from Virgin, no?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

Explanation about how MCS works:

lan.com/en_ca/…info_iata.html

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

As longest flight is from Zone 3 to Zone 2 which is Sydney to Abu Dhabi, the baggage allowance should be those from Virgin, no?

According to Air NZ own website yes and Virgin is now 30kgs to Abu Dhabi.

Don't hand your e-ticket paperwork at check-in just your passport and have emails and print of Air NZ own baggage policy off their website as well, if they try and charge you excess.

If possible see if the travel agent can get a re-print of your e-ticket from Etihad the new rules should pop up

Edited: 9:10 pm, November 12, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

Thanks for your advise, I will definitely print it out a long with the mails I had with them. But I doubt the mails would be helpful as they keep saying that they need to see it on the ticket itself before they will give me the 30kg on my way back.

To be safe I've mailed them about the MSC rule AGAIN. First time that I mentioned it, they just ignore it at Air NZ.

That is what Air NZ told me to do, but unfortunately the travel agent said that Etihad doesn't allow it and that I need to pay a fee to make changes to my eticket apparently, change 23 to 30kg. The fee would be something like excess weight or pay the ticket difference with the current market price of the ticket? Hello?! what?! why do I even need to pay for something that is already allowed and confirmed by the call center of Etihad, but the Etihad contact of the travel agent says otherwise.

Sigh

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

an e-ticket is an electronic ticket not paper so no paperwork required.. although it would be interesting to see what they see at check-in at the other end.

I do find laughable in this day and age that re-sending an email for a ticket purchase is not possible but I suppose they have to pay for the time spent....

Also the move to user pays phone call on 13 numbers is another money pot for someone..is it the airline that gets the proceeds from the calls?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

MCS... I've heard of it but I haven't seen it implemented. If they say it, then they should do it.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance

This is what Air NZ said in a previous reply from them:

You may need to get your travel agent to adjust the baggage allowance stated on your e-ticket. This way you will not run into any problems at the airport.

If Etihad can change your ticket to read 30kgs on every flight then Air New Zealand will be able to see the update on our system and we will honour the 30kg baggage allowance as the e-ticket is under Etihad ticket stock.

And this is what my travel agent received from her Etihad contact:

Unfortunately we are unable to give you the authorization to change the ticket free of charge.

So changing 23 to 30kg is to Etihad a big ticket change and needs to charge the customer? It is not like I asked for upgrades, change of date, etc. Just for a stupid number, a number that they already allow.

Indeed I guess they somehow need to get profit from elsewhere...

Airlines definitely gets their share on premium numbers. Luckily all mine were local ones and my provider doesn't charge for it. Otherwise I would have to pay again for something that shouldn't happen in the first place if they did their work correctly.

Reply to: Etihad Airways new 30kg baggage allowance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted