We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport taking too long to arrive!

London, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Passport taking too long to arrive!

Hi All

Just wondered if anybody recently has had issues obtaining a new passport. I had booked a holiday not realising that I had mislaid my passport. After searching the house upside down I figured rather than leave it to the last minute to apply- just apply. My hol is booked for the 16th nov and I sent the form off on the 13th Oct thinking this would be enough time as I applied using the post office check and send and they said the process time is 2-3 weeks......STILL NOTHING. I am panicking frantically, stressed and crying all the time. I have chased and chased to no avail. Has anyone else had an issues lately with obtaining a new passport or advise.

Tenille

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

On the above webpage, says it takes "at least three weeks" to get your passport, not 2-3 weeks. You did have the option to use Premium service, where you would get your passport within four hours of your application being accepted. You also had the fast track option, which would have taken one week from the date your application was accepted.

If your new one doesn't show up in time, do you still have that option?

Hopefully, it will show up before your trip.

Edited: 12:03 pm, November 08, 2012
derby
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

Have you actually contacted the passport office? I believe they can check it's status.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,479 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

I got a new passport in June, took about 6 weeks. Thats how long it takes.

A passport is a valuable item & should be looked after, like credit cards etc

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

Can you re-apply with a same day turnaround if there's an application in process? Seems cheaper and less emotional than binning a holiday.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,968 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

https:/…in_the_uk

lost or stolen passport is a different matter than just simple replacement.

Can't do one day service.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

My dad recently got his in about a week but that was a simple replacement as his had run out. Quick though!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

The only people that can help you with this is the passport office, contact them as soon as you can.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

My husband needed a replacement passport in May we used the fast track system & it still took over 5 weeks to get here,we got it on the Friday & were flying on the Tuesday to say we were stressed was an understatement!!!, i would phone the passport office about it,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

As Tilly41 has posted, there is a big difference between getting a new passport (for one that is going to expire or has expired) and getting a replacement passport because one has been lost.

You need to follow up immediately and quickly about this. Posting on a forum is ok for advice, but only the passport people can help you on this one.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
19,479 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport taking too long to arrive!

Hazel, what was the reason for the delay on your past track passport application? If it wasn't due a mistake on your behalf you should be able to claim the addition cost you paid for the fast track service.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@travel/documents/digitalasset/dg_177158.pdf

**Edit to add a working link**

Just go to the bottom of this page for the form.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Edited: 7:51 pm, November 08, 2012