We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with emirates

melrose ,scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
flying with emirates

has anybody else noticed that emirates special offers to Asia and beyond aren't really connecting flights especially from the northern airports . you see a flight advertised from £549 to Bangkok but when you try and book 1 with a good connection its impossible .the price jumps to £750 + .its time some 1 stopped airlines from advertising flights that have 10hr + transfer times as a connecting flight when really its a stopover .Ive also noticed if you are a skywards saver with emirates their upgrade miles to buiss class is extremely poor value now .they have introduced a tier system on upgrades now so if u buy a discounted ticked they will charge extra miles to upgrade from that ticket.and the difference is 10,000 miles extra . lol. value ?. not i think .!!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying with emirates

EK changed the Skywards programme approx. 2 years ago.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying with emirates

All airlines are doing the same, schedule-wise. And many are introducing more price dependant miles-upgrade. This is our world today! Now if you use http://www.kayak.com or equivalent when making a research you can input a maximum layover time. Which can help then finding on the airline's website your flights (of course depending on the airline you'd have to check whether the booking class is allowing the miles-upgrade or not.

melrose ,scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying with emirates

yes they did but further changes seem to have been made ,when i originally was looking to upgrade from economy to buiss,the miles req was 32,000 but no seats were available,but lo and behold after some changes had been made to the emirates site 4 days later there was an the same upgrade was available but the price had jumped from 32,000 to 42,000 miles .when i queered it they said they had started

linking the miles req to the price off ticket . rip off ??.

melrose ,scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying with emirates

yes,i agree ,its getting harder to find value flight and still get airmiles ,i fly to bkk 3 times a year so the airmiles would be handy.i would love to go back and fly thai airways but you can never get a 3 mth economy ticket at a good price .there value flights are all 1 mth and no airmiles .i see Turkish air fly from Edinburgh direct to Istanbul with fairly good connections to Bangkok , so maybe need start keeping an eye on their offers .i hate having to fly to London as all British airlines wont book your bags through unless u have a all in 1 ticket .that was 1 off the good things about using emirates from Newcastle.they were happy to book my bags through to phuket .

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,861 posts
1,917 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying with emirates

I just see Miles/Points as bonuses. A couple of years ago I had silver status with Emirates by doing two long haul flights per year and then got downgraded to the basic level when they introduced a tier system and just fell short even with two long haul flights.

However I did not pick Emirates for these flights out of loyalty, they were the cheapest.

melrose ,scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying with emirates

yea,i enjoyed having silver status with emirates ,was handy being able to use the buiss class lane to book in and board plane ,i even managed to get a free upgrade to buiss class on 1 trip to bkk and using the old buiss class lounge in dubai was great too .but alas it all gone now .yep.i will now book flights on price and least transfer times in future.no point in giving an airline my loyalty if all they going to do is give poor value .

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,861 posts
1,917 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying with emirates

At least you got an upgrade at lease once. I travel with children so my chances are very remote.

I have found Emirates to be less competitive as before, but you always find an airline who is willing attract passengers. Qatar, Lufthansa tends to be the ones at the moment.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying with emirates

Hi Scotsblue

Looked at booking Turkish to BKK next May however connection time on the way out was 5hrs 40mins so wasn't much use. They did have a quicker connection of 1hr 40mins but I've read that IST is a horrendous airport to try and achieve such a quick transfer.

Think we'll stick to Emirates from GLA although rumours still persist that Qatar will be flying from EDI sometime next year.

Kind Regards

Jim

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying with emirates

I wonder how many long-haul Emirates flights you need to make a year, before the points scheme is of any use to you ?

With Emirates fliying from Newcastle, obviously I'd much rather (and do) fly with them, rather than have to travel to another airport to catch an alternative flight

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying with emirates

Even doing a huge round the world trip with EK (Economy), I would have just fallen short of the miles needed to keep silver status this year! Very disappointing. So Instead we booked some flights with EK on miles (sorry OP, I found the redemption for my route very easy!) and the rest on TK, as they had amazing fares and good timings. I really do love EK but it seems like loyalty is being rewarded less. On the other hand, a friend's mum travels to Newcastle on EK (not a Skywards member) and seems to get upgraded to Biz every time! Lucky woman!