We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

i plan on flying from melbourne to frankfurt over the xmas period in 2013, but due to costs which will be over $10k for flights. I was wondering if anybody had actually booked a multi stop flight to europe via asia BUT booked one part from an australian company and another through the asian country?

that is - I know that some countries have sales on and wonder if it could be cheaper to fly say - melb to osaka, stay a few days and then fly osaka -to frankfurt BUT to purchase the 2nd leg of trip from a Japan airline/website. It doesn't have to be Osaka, any cheap sale to any country really. Is australian flights/companies more expensive than other countries? Can i get my 4 flights cheaper doing the searching & booking on-line myself?

Edited: 1:21 am, November 01, 2012
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

I very much doubt buying a ticket to Asia and then another ticket to Frankfurt will save you anything, could cost you a lot more.

Best is to sign up to airline websites for airlines such as Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Thai, Qantas, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Cathay Pacific, etc so that you hear about promotions in advance.

It is a long way off and airlines can add / change routes.

You can check with travel agents too.

Edited: 1:29 am, November 01, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

I book multi-stops flights from Sydney to Europe via Bangkok.

I agree with Monica.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
973 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

Hi there,

Yup I've done that and can successfully say we saved at least $1,600 for our 2 tickets combined. This was for our May flights to Europe this year. It is a LOT of work looking around, checking different websites etc. etc. but worth it in the end IMO.

We took an Air Asia flight from Coolangatta to Kuala Lumpur (bought it when AA had their sales), booked a Malaysian Airlines flight to Paris. Flight home was with Emirates from Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur (Emirates was not on sale but unbelievably cheap and an amazing airline) and then took an Air Asia flight from Kuala Lumpur to Coolangatta (again bought on sale). All up it cost around $1,400 return from Australia with 30kgs of suitcase coming home both with Emirates and AA.

What I don't like about booking return fares from Australia to Europe (apart from the absolute ridiculous cost) is that you land and depart from the same airport/city. We like to hop from one country to another so I don't see the sense in going back to London for example to catch a plane home when our last city is Istanbul.

We always stop over in KL to unwind post Europe so I was very happy with these flights. It sounds confusing and some people may find it annoying having so many airlines to remember but we're used to flying with numerous airlines so this doesn't bother us you just have to be super organised.

Just bear in mind that I was literally stalking the internet for sales for weeks and checked a lot of different airlines but our persistence paid off.

We've been going to Europe every year for the past few years now and this is my little trick for being able to afford to fly there a fair bit. The best fare I've ever paid was $900 return to London from Coolangatta back in 2010 now that was a steal :-)

Good Luck with your search!

Cheers, Coco

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,768 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

Air China consistently have the cheapest tickets to Europe. You spend extra time getting there as you transit through China, and once in Europe you will probably have to get one of the LCCs to get to Frankfurt, but they could be worth a look.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

<<What I don't like about booking return fares from Australia to Europe (apart from the absolute ridiculous cost) is that you land and depart from the same airport/city. >>

Most airlines offer an open jaw facilty in Europe which means you don't have to depart from the same city as you arrive in.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

Turkish Airlines fly from Kuala Lumpur and I know from Bangkok they offer great fares, so perhaps if you can book ahead with a cheap Air Asia deal that may work, but it does take some figuring out.

Air Asia are increasing their MEL-KUL flights to 11 per week soon.

By that time maybe Scott will be doing MEL to Singapore. Fares are very competative from Singapore also

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

The obvious point to make is that if you miss a non-connecting flight then all the flights on that itinerary are cancelled and you have little option but to buy new tickets at the walk up - ie eye watering - price.

You can reduce the possibility of this by allowing for VERY long (ie one day) layovers but that just increases total travel time & costs. So unless you plan the layover destinations as part of your holiday you are going to end up twiddling your thumbs in some forgotten part of the middle / far east to save a few dollars

8. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:15 am, November 01, 2012
Edited: 6:15 am, November 01, 2012
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

If you do connecting tickets that would only be if using Air Asia or perhaps Scoot, then no need to do it all in one go, of course you can use the opportunity to visit places also the way, example Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, or some place such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc, so you have the chance to visit great places along the way too. Though if using the SE Asia carriers or the Gulf carriers such as Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways they all do through services all the way from Melbourne anyway so no changing airlines in that case.

You have so many options, so many airlines to choose from.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights from australia to europe - the cheaper way perhaps

thats what i wanted to hear CocoBrisbane. brilliant - now i know it CAN be done i just have to be savvy and keep eyes peeled for any specials. I'd be more than happy to stay a day or two or three in an overseas stop over cause i'd hate to miss my connecting flight and pay big $$. So it's a matter of getting on all the airlines mailing list and waiting for their specials then? ignore my ignorance - but whats Scoot? i just found Kayak andn CheapOair :)