We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You delay us we'll delay you!!

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
You delay us we'll delay you!!

theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/jetstar-cre…

The group of passengers reportedly held the crew hostage at Pudong Airport because they were upset at the delay and scared Jetstar would not honour a promise to keep them in hotels.

All over a little bit of fog....think I prefer the captains choice

Edited: 3:20 am, October 31, 2012
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

All airlines beware disrupt us at your peril

London, United...
Level Contributor
736 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

If it was in the US or UK, I think there would have been a forced 'invasion' by law enforcement and all involved passengers led away in handcuffs, maybe a little tasering on the side !

It could have been viewed as an act of 'terrorism' rather than customers standing up for their rights, after all they held the crew prisoner !

On the whole - I admire their pluck, would I personally do it ? NO !

I am at heart a rule follower and this would definitely not 'float my boat'

In this day and age I think they were very lucky !

Edited: 6:12 am, October 31, 2012
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

Everyone on the plane led away in cuffs sounds a little unlikely!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

Hi,

I *suspect* there is/was some minor journalistic embellishment here..

but... let's just say for arguments sake, that is it was a true case of "hostage-taking"..

.. This to me does mean the forcible detention by a criminal abductor in order to compel another party to act, or refrain from acting, in a particular way, with or without the threat of serious physical harm to the hostage(s) after expiration of an ultimatum..

So, IF it was as such, then I think the PRC's PSB (Public Safety Bureau) should have intervened, used whatever would be appropriate law enforcement measures to end the matter, and all alleged abductors criminally charged by the State in a court of competent jurisdiction.

I personally think it was more of a 'sit-in" whereby passengers refused to deplane, and since there is/was passengers on-board, safety rules require the cabin crew to remain on-board as well.. and it was this 'sit-in" and related crew retention requirement, that drove the "hostage' label..

Travel Safe,

London, United...
Level Contributor
736 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

No - probably cable ties! ;-D

The security services take this sort of stuff very seriously - confine all - then sort out the protagonists.

You can get let away in cuffs for too many G&T's - this is way more serious,

Technically they had HOSTAGES, even at the end the Captain was still on board, so yes it IS possible to confine and arrest all the passengers.

It may be unlikely but considering how the authorities deal with 'argumentative' people on planes, I wouldn't bet against it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
736 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

True, GOPBI

-probably some embellishment, however even a sit in can get you arrested, you don't necessarily have to be on an aircraft for that !

Personally I would have booked my own hotel room if none was offered and claimed the expense back afterwards.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

"""I personally think it was more of a 'sit-in" whereby passengers refused to deplane, and since there is/was passengers on-board, safety rules require the cabin crew to remain on-board as well.. and it was this 'sit-in" and related crew retention requirement, that drove the "hostage' label..""""

They weren't bailed up on the aircraft it was in the airport itself

theage.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/extrem…

London, United...
Level Contributor
736 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

OK, my mistake... Airport, not Aircraft

but they ASSAULTED the captain, definitely someone needs to be held responsible for that IMHO, I'm sure there is CCTV and if I were the airline, I would bar that passenger from ever travelling with them again.

It's OK to be upset, but not to manhandle or assault another human being, whatever the provocation, and quite frankly - there was not a lot the crew could do.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
378 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

Jet star (flights domestic in aus) are terrible I'd never ever fly them

10. Re: You delay us we'll delay you!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, October 31, 2012