We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

Is it okay to pack my many supplements in 'by the week, AM and PM' boxes, or should I carry everything in original containers?

Do I have to carry on all this stuff, or is it likely to still be there, in my checked baggage, once I reach my destination(s)?

Thanks!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

Anything that looks like a pill or capsule should be packed in its original box/bottle and all prescription meds should be accompanied by a prescription or a doctors letter.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,661 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

Hi,

I agree..

Remember that when it comes to Customs clearance, in almost all cases, the Customs officer need NOT prove it's ILLegal, YOU have the burden to prove that it IS LEGAL..

So the easier you make for them to determine the goods nature, substance- and by extension, its legality-- the quicker and easier it is for you..

.. and as noted in #1, pills and other drug and drug-related materials are and can be area of extra customs attention due to their potential for misuse and/or illegal importation.

So long as you've checked with Hong Kong and Indian Customs authorities and determined these items are legal to import-- AND in the quantities you plan to have-- then you should be fine.. Just bring the original packaging to ease and expedite the clearance process.

Travel Safe,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,499 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

Make sure you check the legality of whatever you are importing.

Also, many can mean a lot of things. Example would be if you are going for a 4 month trip vvs a one week trip.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

What about my multivitamin ? Can i carry them in a weekly pill box?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

I travel with a large pill box all over the globe. It's mostly supplements, and occasionally I'll throw in an Advil or Tylenol for the flight. I've never once been stopped and/or questioned about what they are or why I have it.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

Occasionally I exceed the speed limit and I've never once been picked up for speeding. That doesn't make it OK and if someone asked my advice I wouldn't be telling them it's a safe thing to do on the basis that in 30+ years of driving I I've never been caught.

The fact is if you do happen to come across a super diligent customs official - and they are known to exist- and your pills, prescription or OTC are carried in unmarked containers then you should be prepared to have them confiscated.

So the advice is to carry all pills in original packaging.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

i wonder if Ben P has ever been thru customs in australia with his box of pills?

8. Re: Traveling to Hong Kong and India with lots of supplements!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 22, 2013