We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to San Diego from Manchester

burnley lancs
Level Contributor
246 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to San Diego from Manchester

When do british airways start their sale?

I'm looking to book for September next year and am wondering if to hang on until the sale, am I risking missing out on good flight times by waiting.

Thanks

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

It is a myth that the cheapest priced seats go on sale right at the outset. They are near the beginning, but not at the beginning. Why would the airlines put the cheap seats out there first given that a huge part of the travelling public staunchly believes that the cheapest are first and will buy anything that shows up?

Read the Top question "What's with these screwy ticket prices? Buy now or later?" (upper right corner of this page)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,723 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

Your chances would be better for LHR-LAX, UK-San Diego has no competition.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

Unless you are traveling down to London by road or rail, you are going to have to make a connection to get from Manchester to San Diego, either at LHR and then take the direct BA flight to SAN, or you can connect somewhere Stateside with a departure from MAN. If you use US Airways, then you can connect in Philly and if you use United, you can connect in New York (EWR) and in Washington (IAD) and then make a connection to SAN, so there may be cheaper options than the direct LHR-SAN flight. As was pointed out in a previous reply, there is no competition on the direct LHR-SAN route, but as was also suggested, you could look at LAX as that would open up direct options such as United, Virgin Atlantic, Air New Zealand, etc.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

rakehead

I agree. You're better bet is MAN-LHR-LAX and making your way from there. BA has no competition on the SAN route. The next BA sale will be in mid-December, so I would wait until then. They have had one each December for the last three years.

Regards

burnley lancs
Level Contributor
246 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

Thanks for all your replies, we have got a price from manchester to heathrow and then San Diego which is £800 each, think we are going to wait and see if the sale happens December, if not we will look at all the options available.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

MAN-PHL-SAN is around £600 each with US airways

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

Perhaps you may wisht to consider MAN-LAX and then get a short commuter flight onto Carlsbad in San Diego County-(CLD) it only takes approx. 40 mins including taxiing times to a from the gates in a turbo pro operated by United Express and costs approx. £125 return but is worth it for the incredible views of the California coastline-done this trip many times and they accept Int airline luggage allowances-always found this route the quickest/cost effective alternative to BA/AA/Iberian monopoly

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

Just had a quick look at United's website and they are showing the price as being £643 for Sept 2013 for MAN-IAD-LAX-CLD two week return so I image that you can get if for lower elsewhere

burnley lancs
Level Contributor
246 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

Thanks for all your help, BA were still £1500 for 2 people so took the plunge and booked US airways for £1227, these offered the best flight times for us so hope they are ok. I think the transatlantic flight keg will be much the sand as other airlines and £300 is a big saving

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to San Diego from Manchester

US Airways are a great airline and always appear to cost less than the others but seem to have more stops and take longer to get to the destinations I go to on T/A trips-personally I will never ever fly BA