We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

Evansville, Indiana
5 posts
Save Topic
How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

I recently flew to Las Vegas via AA with my husband. His bag arrived (delayed) in Las Vegas and mine never arrived. I am now HOME from my vacation and still without my luggage. I call AA every single day and every day it's the same answer, "We cannot locate your bags at this time." Why did I pay $25 to check my luggage if they weren't going to use the tracking tags?

If you have lost your luggage before, what steps did you take to get reimbursed for your items or even your trip?

Thanks!

193 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

Perhaps those who have had their luggage lost can make a trip to the Unclaimed Baggage Center and search for their belongings. http://unclaimedbaggage.com/

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

My niece ,nephew and great niece came in from overseas. Their domestic flight ( one ticket from Israel) was on American. They rechecked their luggage at JFK after customs and 2 out of the 3 bags didn't make it to Boston on their flight. I was nervous that I would be posting a saga but I am happy to report I just got a phone call from Boston that they just delivered the two missing pieces.

I would venture to guess this outcome is the outcome in the vast majority of cases.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
53. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

I flew with American Airlines to the British Virgin Islands from London Heathrow (via Miami and San Juan) in September this year. It was without doubt the most dreadful flying experience I have ever had. It was the first and the last time that I will fly with American Airlines.

Firstly, American Airlines didn't even bother putting my baggage on the flight out of Heathrow. I arrived at the carousel in Miami and mine was the only bag not to appear. After frantically running around the airport trying to get someone to help me, I was told by aggressive staff that my bag would definitely be in San Juan and I was "told" in no uncertain terms to board my connecting flight.

When I arrived in San Juan the staff told me that my bag was still in London. I was distraught. I had flown half way round the world for a once in a lifetime job interview in the British Virgin Islands and now, all my interview outfits, clothes and toiletries were a few thousand miles away across the Atlantic. I had an overnight stopover in San Juan before flying on to the British Virgin Islands the next morning. I tried desperately to get a member of American Airline staff to help me that evening and the next morning before I flew out and not one of them was interested. None of them could help me. They stared vacantly at their computer screens and told me there was nothing they could do. One person told me my bag would be on the next flight out of Heathrow the next day but I was not convinced. I got the impression that he just wanted me to go away.

Needless to say I arrived at my destination with no bag and, 35 days later, it is still "missing". 35 days and not one person from American Airlines has contacted me. Apparently Central Baggage Services at American Airlines will only contact you when they lose your bag "if" they find it. Brilliant.

I am truly shocked and appalled by how American Airlines treats its customers. To date I have not even been compensated by American Airlines for all the items that I was forced to buy when I arrived at my destination and had nothing. I have had to submit a claim form to them detailing all the items that were in my suitcase and I have heard NOTHING back from them.

I was told by one member of staff that my bag did make it out of Heathrow the next day but then it was later "lost" when it arrived at JFK. Apparently there is no electronic tagging system at JFK and that is why they lost trace of it there. I cannot believe that in 2013 baggage is not electronically tagged at every point in its journey. So, American Airlines really surpassed itself by losing my bag twice in as many days!

I want to write this post because the way I have been treated is not acceptable. Unfortunately for American Airlines I am a solicitor and if they do not compensate me for the loss that they have caused me I will be forced to take them to court. I am sure that there are many other people out there who have been treated as I have and it is simply not right.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

I would have guessed that you were a solicitor given the amount of hyperbole in your account. Take a breath, read the contact of Carriage, and then decide whether American Airlines had breached that yet. Also read the prior posts on this thread which should explain a lot about the incorrect presumptions you have made.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

but luckily you claimed on your travel insurance ! yes ?

you did have travel insurance ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

I know it sucks when it happens to you, but any airline can lose luggage. I don't think AA is significantly different than most. I've flown them for decades without issue

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

Hi,

re: 53

"Needless to say I arrived at my destination with no bag and, 35 days later, it is still "missing". 35 days and not one person from American Airlines has contacted me. Apparently Central Baggage Services at American Airlines will only contact you when they lose your bag "if" they find it. Brilliant. "

==> I wouldn't wait for them to contact you. Yes, in a perfect world, they'd be more pro-active, no arguments there.. but at this point - 35+ days out after initial loss - unless they know where it is, or are in the process of sending it to you - you bag and case are now classed as "lost".

As a result, AA may have moved your case from the active tracking stage to the claim settlement stage.. and that's usually with a different group.

I'd reach out to Central Baggage and see where they are with the claim/case.

" None of them could help me. They stared vacantly at their computer screens and told me there was nothing they could do... I got the impression that he just wanted me to go away. "

==> I think that's a bit of an over-reach.. Unfortunately, unless you are actually IN the baggage office, those that are out-of-station; like SJU, really only have their computer terminals to give them information for you -- what is there is all they can tell you.. Unfortunately, most carriers have it set-up that internally, staff don't (or sometimes can't) call Central Baggage on the phone, but must send an internal "email" message via their system. This is designed to keep the Central Baggage staff off the phone, arguably repeating what's in the system and more time working on cases.

"I cannot believe that in 2013 baggage is not electronically tagged at every point in its journey."

==> Baggage is tracked more these days, but not as you and others might think.. Unlike the private express carriers like UPS and DHL, airlines don't scan bags at as many points as one might want or expect.

Some of this is driven by costs -- it costs big bucks to buy scanning equipment, install and maintain it.. The other issues are things like physical logistics in that at most airports the airline doesn't actually own the property or equipment that moves bags around - that's usually owned by the airport itself - as such, as a renter, they have restrictions in terms of what modifications they can make to the equipment or similar.

I agree that I think there should be better scanning and some airports - like HKG - who now use RFID and similar, but I cede that this is very much a cost issue and for most US airlines, they are very leery about investing/spending millions of dollars into that at this point in time.

"I am a solicitor and if they do not compensate me for the loss that they have caused me I will be forced to take them to court. "

==> I'm sure AA will compensate you in accordance with the applicable law, your occupation, to them, is mute and will not impact what they do, don't do, or timeframe for such.. They get letters from solicitors all the time.

What I would be doing is trying to contact their claims group as that is where I suspect your case is now - based only on the number of days involved.

Travel Safe,

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

>> Unfortunately for American Airlines I am a solicitor and if they do not compensate me for the loss that they have caused me I will be forced to take them to court.<<

When all else fails, sue 'em! That'll teach them!

Do let us know how your suit comes out, Ms Attorney :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

So, American Airlines really surpassed itself by losing my bag twice in as many days

-------

Sounds to me more like Heathrow and JFK each lost it, since it's their employees, not American's, that are physically moving the luggage.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?

" I had flown half way round the world for a once in a lifetime job interview in the British Virgin Islands and now, all my interview outfits, clothes and toiletries were a few thousand miles away across the Atlantic."

Americanlostbaggage (nice handle btw, you don't have an agenda do you),

You've just learned the hard way - as I did once - why you should always pack a change of clothes, suitable for your intended visit, in your carry on. That way, if checked bags get delayed or lost you have something to wear to bide you over.

When I travel on business I wear my suit and a business shirt, and carry another (sometimes two) in my carry on. That gives me two days' worth of clothes to wear before I have to either buy something new or cycle my clothes through the hotel laundry.

Reply to: How many others lost their luggage with American Airlines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted