We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
275 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

We are looking to book a direct/non-stop flight from Cancun to LAX for June 2013 and the 2 options are Virgin America and United Airlines.

Both have 1 free check- in bag, personal tvs, meals for purchase and both flights leave in the early evening. The Virgin fare is coming in $50 less than United at this stage. But we have no personal experience with either airline so are looking for some advice on which is the better carrier (In your opinion)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

Not sure what you mean by "better". Sometimes, in coach, it's pretty much the same and the only significant difference is if you get a good crew or not.

I'd choose UA because I would want E+ and that's where I put my FF miles.

But, if you don't care, Virgin America is fine, and their planes are fairly new.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

Sorry about that gracie-boo....my Kiwi terminology got lost in translation. Read "better" as meaning superior or of higher quality.

But you did get my meaning and thanks for your input.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
102 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

I've flown both on that route. United's Economy Plus gives you 3-5 inches of extra legroom for roughly $80 USD each way. Virgin's planes are newer and their entertainment system is loads better than United. The service is also marginally better on Virgin. I like that on Virgin you can order your food and drinks on the entertainment system and they bring it to you. However, if you want to eat, order early because they run out quickly.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

Thanks Marc, good info.

Just wondering... when I was checking availability on the United website with a dummy booking, it was not giving me the option of selecting the Economy Plus seating, only economy/business or first. When in the booking stage do you get to select economy plus? Do you up-grade at seat selection?

Edited: 1:19 am, October 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
829 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

I've flown on both airlines (not on this route) and I definitely prefer Virgin because of the service and the entertainment.

Edited: 1:23 am, October 23, 2012
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

Thanks msmegmog - good to get some feedback from down under!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

I believe you can upgrade to Economy Plus, even know if there is availability, and the exact charge for the upgrade, only after you book your regular Economy seat. I phoned them about this because I also didn't see E-Plus shown separately. I've never used it, but a friend who flew it from GRU-EWR with his family said it was quite good.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

When in the booking stage do you get to select economy plus? Do you up-grade at seat selection?

Yes, the E+ seats will be the dark blue ones, and if you click on them, it will show you the price.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

#8 is right: Economy Plus seats show up at seat selection time, and even beforehand, though if you just go to the "View Seats" selection when shopping for flights, before booking, the price of the upgrade doesn't show up. You can do a sort of dummy booking, choosing a flight, putting in traveler info (real or not), then go to seat selection, and youll see what #8 describes, and know the cost of an E Plus seat before you actually commit by purchasing. You can go to Seatguru, etc. and see any comments on the particular seat(s) you're considering. E Plus can be for general positioning. I do notknow if all of them have extras such as more leg space, but others will certainly know.

Edited: 2:47 pm, October 23, 2012
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun to Los Angeles...Virgin America or United Airlines?

Thanks for clarifying that - I'd been wondering if Economy plus wasn't an option on that flight.