We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Looking to book a flight to from Chicago to India in January, and I'm having trouble deciding on the airline. Air India's flights are the most convenient to be sure (direct ORD to DEL). I've heard very mixed reviews about the airline, though. While many say it's dreadful, I also get the impression it's gotten better in the past couple of years and that the transatlantic flights are just fine (domestic not so great, but that's another story). Anyone have experience flying this particular route recently? I'd really love to hear about it. My other option is Etihad, which I gather might be a bit nicer, but it involves a layover in Abu Dhabi and the flight times are decidedly less convenient than Air India. Prices are pretty comparable.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

I am not sure about AI-have you considered UA, one change at EWRthen a direct on stop to DEL? One attraction of UA would be the availability of E+-it is worth the extra cost.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Thanks, Alumnus. In my attempt for brevity, I left out the part that I have to connect to Hyderabad. So, I'm trying to avoid two plane changes. Air India goes straight from Chicago to Delhi and then a quick flight to Hyderabad. Or, Etihad flies Chicago to Abu Dhabi and then directly from there to Hyderabad (not stop in Delhi). So, I'm leaning towards one of those.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,971 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

You also have the option of BA via London Heathrow.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Yes, that is true. However, the return journey options are less than desireable and involve an overnight in London. So I wasn't considering that one (not to mention that the ORD/LHR portion of the route is on American, which I am not a huge fan of and whose spotty track record of late worries me for a flight this important). I'm quite appreciative of the suggestions for other airlines/routes, but what I'd really like to know is if anyone has flown Air India from Chicago to Delhi (or from any US city for that matter). Ultimately, this is the flight I'd like to go with assuming I can get confirmation from at least one person that it wouldn't be as dreadful as some people are making it out to be. Thanks for your responses, though!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,070 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Flew JFK-LHR with them a few years ago and it wasnt actually that bad. But not on to Delhi sorry.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,070 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Sorry - duplicate post.

Edited: 4:29 pm, October 23, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Thanks, Bronia! I think I'm going to go for it, as the times are just so much more convenient.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

did you see the link posted by gracie boo in this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12084-k58512…

if you read those reviews - yes they are amusing in some cases - but you may think again...

pam

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Air India used to be decades ago one of the best airlines in the world. Tandoori king prawns in business was always good...

Since the govt took over the airlines from the Tata group (owners of Taj Hotels, Jaguar, Land Rover) back in the 70/80s I think... (It was a forced sale to the govt as there was no national airline back then for India) they did a class A job of ruining a very good airline.

In the last 5 years however they have upped their game as they were losing out big time to the likes of Jet Airways, Kingfisher and Emirates for example.

Air India offers a much better product now with new planes, improved menus etc.

It still isn't as good as Emirates but if you can get good flight times and a good price then go for it.

Edited: 12:30 pm, October 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air India - Chicago to Delhi

Pam, I did see that. And it's one of the reasons I was hesitating. But, then I would read something similar to avicovs comments...that the airline has improved immensely in the past couple of years, especially when it comes to transatlantic flights...and I would wonder if maybe I didn't have enough information. After all, those are only a few reviews, many of them old, and we also all know that people tend to write reviews for two reasons: something was really amazing or really awful...and it is usually the latter. When things are just fine, people don't write about it. So, it's hard to get good info. I don't need things to be spectacular (I've had nightmare experiences on airlines with much better reputations than AI). I just want to be sure it's not absolutely dreadful. I was hoping there may be a person or two on here who'd taken that specific flight, but it doesn't seem like there is. And that's ok! It was worth a shot. I really appreciate all the feedback regardless.