We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

Pune, India
3 posts
Save Topic
SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

I booked a filght for a round trip from Pune To Cochin for Jan 13 on 15th Oct. And to my surprise, withing 5 days that is from 20th Oct the same Flight tickets are available for half price.

1. The site flashed limited seats available, so booked the flight in hurry.

2. There is no new flight added

3. No Specific deals mentioned on site under which they have declared this discount

4. The travel is still 2 months away, so is definately is not a last minute discounts for low sale.

I am feeling cheated, as we book travel in advance to avail low cost and not to get robbed like this.

I have re-booked my tickets with lower cost and now will be cancelling my old tickets which is going to cost me Rs. 5000.

I am wondering how can they change prices to half like that? their customer care is giving me standard answers as dynamic pricing system can change pricies any time. But there has to be some logic. Again this cancellation amount is something completely in their control which the can wave off. But no help offered by the airline.

Any advice on

1. Is this right on their part to change prices to half within no time and no specific reason?

2. How to reach higher level people of such groups? as the regular customer care staff is only reading back the rule books to me.

Thanks

SK

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

Prices go up and down all the time with most airlines. There's no guarantee that booking early ensures the cheapest price. While it's annoying to buy a ticket and see the price drop I don't really see that you have grounds for complaint.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

1. Is this right on their part to change prices to half within no time and no specific reason?

It's not a question of right or wrong, it's simply how they decide to run their business but flight prices change all the time.

I'm confused as to why you booked new tickets at the reduced price and cancellled your old tickets unless there were refundable tickets (unlikely) as surely this is going to cost you evem more money.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

Advice? Suck it up. Move on.This is normal and is standard practice with almost all carriers given price fluctuations.

Pune, India
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

Lexexpress - I felt cheated, cause they flashed limited seats and increased the cost and then within few days reduced the cost. There is no competiation cause they are the only one operating on that route. It's fooling the customer under the name of 'Dynamic Pricing system'

Tom - Yes the earlier tickets were refundable. As the new ticket was at half price, I saved abt 30% even after paying the cancellation charges.

Op2002 - It may be is a regular practice, but is not a good standard. I guess regulators needs to do something abt it. But yes as you said 'move on' seems to be the solution at our level.

Thanks all for the comments

Edited: 2:46 am, October 23, 2012
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

Oh dear, I think I've just cheated BA. I bought tickets to USA last week and today they've gone up by £200.

Does anyone have an address where I can send a cheque for the difference?

Park.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

"I felt cheated, cause they flashed limited seats "

Most likely there were limited seats available in your fare bucket when you booked. You have nothing to feel cheated about. The airline cannot be held responsible for you making wrong assumptions about the movement of ticket prices.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

Agree with #5.

Yes, one might feel a bit aggrieved if you find that the fares have gone down for your particular flight - if only I'd waited !!! Hold on though, What are your feelings if you see the fare you paid has now suddenly doubled, do you fire off angry letters to the airline CEO, do you go on TA and complain bitterly about the airline changing the prices ??

Prices vary on virtually every commodity - share prices, exchange rates, price of petrol etc etc

Pune, India
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

Park75 - That's funny, what you paid is probably the correct cost.. now it has gone up only cause the airlines are sucking up others on account of limited seats.. etc etc.. or may be if you check there might be some one who has bought at half cost than your's

somersetal - Prices vary on all commodity with some logic and some speculation... but in this case it looks like pure speculation.. and the if i see the fair going up will feel good for myself... but it is bad for others.....

I have moved on from this and am not agitated any more.... but seems the bad practices of this business have become so common that all the regular travelers like you all (I suppose you are travelers and not ppl from the airline industry) are taking them as RULES. I still feel better regulation can help all.

Cheers

Sachin K

9. Re: SpiceJet - Cost reduced to half

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 04, 2013