We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

I am flying 2 international flights (each 11 hours) and am in-transit for 6 hours at Heathrow terminal 5 with no lounge access for a shower and no public showers available. I do not have a visa to leave the airport and use one of the nearby hotels. Am I allowed to use the bus/heathrow express to move from terminal 5 to terminal 3 - use a pay-for lounge -and then go back to terminal 5 for my flight?

Before I have always used terminal 3 and now have booked a flight with BA and find this hurdle!

Many Thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

The problem could be that the pay lounges in T3 are located after security - not sure if you'll be able to get past this point as you wont have a valid boarding pass for a flight departing from T3.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Unless thing have changed recently you can only go airside at a LHR terminal if you have a flight from that terminal, so in your case the answer would have to be no.

The only option I can think of is to pass through UK immigration and get a room at the T4 Yotel (which is paid per hour). There's a free bus service between the landside terminals details of which are on heathrowairport.com

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Am I allowed to use the bus/heathrow express to move from terminal 5 to terminal 3 - use a pay-for lounge -and then go back to terminal 5 for my flight?

=====

No.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Alison,

If you are a US citizen you do not need a visa to visit the UK. There are many other countries from whom the UK does not require visas as well.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Thanks, unfortunately I am from South Africa and so cannot move out of the airport without a visa.

Many Thanks

I normally fly Virgin and then terminal 3 has options for pay-as-you need lounges. Now BA uses terminal 5 and no such option so going to have to cancel that flight....thx for the help

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Alison, apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs but I presume you arent flying business class?

London
Level Contributor
407 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

What you want to do is try and befriend somebody with a lounge card who can "guest" you in.

I would try the flyertalk forums, I'm sure there's a thread of somekind in there regarding this.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Thx, unfortunately not flying business class and have tried to use points to upgrade but no seats available...

Have just heard that it is possible using the shuttle service which remains airside to move from terminal 5 to 3 and back again to T5.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Have just heard that it is possible using the shuttle service which remains airside to move from terminal 5 to 3 and back again to T5.

No. You won't be allowed to transfer from one to the other and back, only to the one you are flying from.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If in transit in terminal 5 - can I use lounge in terminal 3

Have just heard that it is possible using the shuttle service which remains airside to move from terminal 5 to 3 and back again to T5

======

Who told you that? AFAIK if you don't have a boarding card for T3 you wont be allowed on the bus unless someone has found a scam way of getting on it, I can offhand think of one but it seems extreme just for a few hours in a lounge.

Is 6 hours that bad? Take off an hour at each end, and that's only 4. A decent meal, a browse of the shops, a coffee and a book or magazine in a coffee place, it will go pretty fast. And don't the pay on entry lounges restrict you to 3 hours in any case?