We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Having traveled with USAir a long time ago and hearing not so good news about them, and never traveled with Spirit, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on flying with either company.

My son and his girlfriend will travel (possibly) out of Harrisburg, PA and USAir is the choice for the most part. I did a kayak search and Spirit comes up as $346 pp with one stop. So does anyone have the good, the bad and the ugly on either one and would you fly with them, Air Tran is my choice but they have a smaller budget than my husband and I. Thanks in advance!

P.s. Their other choice would be BWI.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Be very careful with Spirit Airlines. When you do a search, they look like they are the cheapest option. But then they charge you extra for EVERYTHING. They recently started charging $100 for a carry-on (yes, I mean carry-on) unless you pay in advance on-line. They even charge you for a soda.

I would only fly Spirit if no one else had good flight times.

2. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Oh, man, I see the options suck. Lol. Wow, that's a tough choice. There is no way the kids are going to pay $100 for carryon and me personally that's the only way I go. Do they charge for check-in as well?

4. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 14, 2012
Edited: 7:17 pm, October 14, 2012
Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Here's a link to Spirit's fees. Look at the column for "Effective Nov 6 2012"

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx

Even if you pay in advance, the carry-on fee is $35 and 1st checked bag is $30.

6. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Removed on: 4:05 pm, October 15, 2012
MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

US air has horrible customer service & I vow never to fly with them again, however I also will not fly Spirit either...being nickel & dimed I would rather either fly out of a different airport to expand my choices or pay extra money,

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Steve, there is no reason to attack me. The link I posted above is directly from Spirit's own website. I also said that the $100 fee is if you don't pay in advance.

You have a lower fee because you are a club member. Courtrep's son is not a member and would not get the same rate.

And yes, I have flown Spirit but I'd prefer not to.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,916 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

Google US Airways flight attendants for a possible strike.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spirit Airlines versus USAirways

runaway snack carts on 2 flights w/ a bruised elbow on one. kinda like flying united only suckier