We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

Grand Terrace
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

So I've read a lot of articles saying that airline baggage theft has gone way up, even in locked bags (thefts by airline employees/TSA).

We're flying across the US to adopt our first baby, and due to legal processes, will have to stay in his state for about 2 weeks. I'll be bringing my DSLR camera (a must for baby pics), MacBook Pro, its external hard drive, a Wacom tablet, and iPad because I run a business and will need to check in on clients and do a little design work. Most people suggest just putting anything of value in the carryon to avoid theft, but I just can't see how that will all fit, and I don't want to mash them all together without room for much protective padding! Is it at all safe to pack items like these in checked baggage, or should I try and get them in a carry on? If so, do you have any tips for packing them well? We are flying Southwest, in the middle of December.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

Congratulations on your new baby,

No, you should not pack anything of value in the hold. Even the airlines tell you this.

If you do take the risk, prepare to lose the item. You might not, but chances are not in your favour.

If you need the items for work, you need to take it in your hand luggage, it's that simple. But I think you need to think carefully, if you are bringing your baby home with you, then you will have a lot more hand luggage on the way back. Babies or young children do not travel light and that's when you might struggle.

Possibly you need to think, do you really need it all? Alternatively you could courier some of it to your destination and courier it back.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

Don't pack anything in your checked baggage that you can't risk losing.... I haven't been the victim of theft, but the only thing in my checked baggage is clothes. Congratulations on the baby - Safe travels!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

when, in the wake of 9/11, handbaggage was temporarily banned, my son fed-exed his computer and other business electronics. it was relatively cheap, and very efficient, both transatlantic and trans- usa.

pam

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

I would only take what you really can't do without because it is definitely not a good idea to put these things in your checked luggage and you might arrive missing it all with nothing you can do about it.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

As others have noted, you shouldn't put anything of value in your checked baggage. You might want to downsize some of the items you're bringing. Instead of your DSLR, carry a small pocket size camera. There are some very good ones available at a reasonable cost. You might also consider leaving at least one of the tablets home and use the Macbook instead.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

That isn't very much stuff . A decent laptop bag should hold everything but the camera. Put that in a roller bag or dedicated camera bag.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

I like to put dirty laundry in my check-in. The TSA may open it at their own peril.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

That isn't very much stuff . A decent laptop bag should hold everything but the camera. Put that in a roller bag or dedicated camera bag.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,776 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

I agree with Tev ( scary when I agree with him) You don't have that much. A good backpack with a dedicated area for the laptop should work fine. Also, think about what you are taking that you do not need. An ipad and a MacBook Pro seems like overkill. Two tablets?

Pack other stuff in your checked luggage. Southwest allows you two checked pieces--no charge! Also I hope you are buying baby a seat on the plane.

Regardless--Mazel Tov on this very special addition to your family!

and edited to add a blunt answer to your question--You do NOT pack items like this in your checked luggage unless you want to never see them again!

Edited: 4:45 pm, October 04, 2012
USA
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is safe to pack in checked baggage?

I would not pack any of those items in a checked bag.

Congratulations on your new baby. May he (and you) have a blessed life.