We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

Hi All,

I have booked an air ticket online, and I have accidentally keyed my first name under the last name column, and I can't check in my flight online.

So I'm just wondering whether will I still be able to fly of my name and spelling are all correct, but in wrong sequence?

*Am flying from Singapore to New York.

Thanks in advance, I'm in a panic mode now.

76 replies to this topic
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

I would contact the airline, this happend with us on an Emirates flight and when I called they said that there wouldn't be a problem but would put a note on the booking for the check in person but every airline has different policies.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
16,476 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

Given that in half the world, it is normal for the family name to come first and the given name last, and the other half its the other way round, I can't see that the order of the names would be an issue at all.

Edited: 4:20 am, October 04, 2012
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,117 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

Hi,

One of the common ticketing name issues... I would, as a pre-emptive move, call your carrier and ASK nicely to see if the name issue can be corrected without fee.. Some will, some won't.. and that's an issue that is spoken to by the restrictions in place on your fare basis..

If they can't or won't make the change, then as noted in #1, ask them to note it.. Noting does NOT make a formal change, nor does it make actions binding upon subsequent agents, but it does serve to let others know about the matter,

Will it be an issue? Probably not.. So long as both name are correct in all details, just reversed; i.e. Smith Jane versus Jane Smith, I think you'd had few issues..

If there is some inconsistencies in the names versus your passport, then I think the odds become higher that someone will call you on it.. i.e. Smith Dick, versus Richard Smith.

Travel Safe,

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

There shouldn't be a problem getting the Airline to correct it. I once used my Married name forgetting my passport was under my maiden name changed it no problem. It's worth a call

Melbourne...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

I also have same problem with Malaysian airlines.....My first name appears as a family name..surname appears as a first name in the air ticket..but spellings are correct...is it harmful?????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

** Is it harmful?**

I'm sure that nothing threatens your continuing wellbeing ;-)

Please read previous posts and you may want to do as suggested there...

Fly safe

Mumbai...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

The complete name on my flight ticket through BA from Mumbai to Indianapolis is 'Krishna Chaitanya Chettyanamala' rather than 'Krishna Chaitanya Chetty Anamala' as the name on my passport is as follows:-

First Name:-Krishna Chaitanya

Last Name:-Chetty Anamala

I entered my name details as per the passport information but the last two words got mixed up.Would this name issue be a problem while travelling because my flight journey includes multiple carriers too ? Thanks in advance.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

Usually the spaces in spelling is not an issue.

Many of the OTAs have the systems which never accept the spaces in names.

You should be fine, As a precaution you can try talking to the airline/OTA.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

This often happens it won't be a problem.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets

Well, it just so happens that I flew today and haven't yet thrown away my boarding pass. So I took a look at it, and it says LASTNAME/FIRSTNAME MRS.

It doesn't make the slightest difference.

And to akchetty: When airlines are dealing with names, and forms of names, from all over the world, they cannot be expected to know that in a specific instance the first two words are the first name, and the last word is the family name, or whatever. To use common English names, John Peter Smith has two "first names" and one surname (family name). To use a well-known but uncommon English name, Camilla Parker Bowles has one first name (she may have others, who knows?) and her family name is (or was) two words. If her ticket was issued in the name of Bowles Camilla Parker it wouldn't make the slightest difference, and there would be no problem. But if it said Jane Parker Bowles (in any word order), that would NOT be OK.

Reply to: First name and Last name in wrong sequences on air tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted