We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

empty water bottles and TSA

Buffalo, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
empty water bottles and TSA

Can I board a plane with an empty bottle?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

You may board a plane with a full bottle (of water, juice, etc), depending on where the Security checkpoint is located.

I often take an empty 500mL plastic bottle through Security; when I do I remove it from my carry on luggage or handbag and place it in a bin so it can be visually examined as well as screened.

In eight or 10 trips through Security there has been no aggro from staff or seizure of the bottle.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

I always carry an empty water bottle thru security then fill it at a drinking fountain before I board the plane.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

Just curious but why do you want to take an empty bottle?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

Just curious but why do you want to take an empty bottle?

To avoid having to pay for a bottle of water once airside. Take an empty bottle through security, and fill it at a drinking fountain once you're through. Saves a couple of dollars.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

The answer to the OP's question is YES, it's perfectly legal, and as TP says it's a good idea to declare the bottle at security rather than face any kind of rescreen.

That bottle may be an empty plastic Dasani bottle (yuk, who would buy Dasani) or perhaps a strong metal container that won't leak, and can be filled at the drinking fountain with water distinctly more appetizing than buying a (expensive) bottle of Dasani (did i say yuk) air side.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

I always carry an empty bottle through security and have never been challenged at any of the many airports I've been through. I always either fill it up at the airport - it's nice to have a drink ready at the other end in case there are delays getting through immigration or whatever.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

for certain flights, including the usa, there is secondary screening at the gate. water purchased airside, with receipt, still sealed, may be allowed through. but an open bottle of water probably will not. i have never seen drinking fountains inside the gate area.

[talking about flights from the u.k.]

pam

Edited: 6:12 am, October 02, 2012
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

In Kuala Lumpur enroute to Bali I had bottled water bought airside confiscated at the secondary screening - as Pam says it depends.

If travelling business class I've found bottled water onboard and no need to take a bottle.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,210 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

Well, yes, you would think that people who claim to travel business or first all the time do know about the bottled water on the flight...

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,573 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: empty water bottles and TSA

But do note that if it has a imprinted wrapper (such as lucozade) it will be picked up on the scanner and your hand luggage manually searched, but it will not be confiscated.