We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Having travelled for several years to and from Sicily via EasyJet, Lufthansa and Alitalia, the only time that I/we have experienced problems is with Milan, Linate airport.

Bags lost (and eventually found), partially destroyed (perhaps they practice football for Milan using our bags?) or just scuffed as if the bags have been used for stopping the local train!

They are incredibly bad.

Avoid avoid avoid avoid ....

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Yes, you are correct you have discovered the secret, the only airport in the entire world that has baggage problems and where baggage has been damaged is in fact Milan.

Indeed, due to your warning, next time I wish to go to Milan I will likely instead fly to Sydney Australia and take a cargo steamer to Genoa, and then a donkey drawn cart to Milan.

Edited: 12:44 pm, September 24, 2012
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Probably the best plan Joe!

It will be cheaper than trying to get baggage claims out of the airport despite the best efforts of helpful, courteous and friendly staff at the airlines.

Malpensa is better, via Munich even using Lufthansa, anything but Linate.

We got a flight from Sicily and preferred to go to Malpensa and cross town to Linate rather than trust them to handle baggage for 400m!

We had a connecting flight last year - when we saw Linate our heart sank and low-and-behold ... when we got in the bags went one, way, we went another and we met in Sicily - eventually.

I know every airport has good things and bad and many have ups and downs so maybe it's just bad luck for me/us?!

I hope others have had good experiences...I am sure the staff are working as hard as any other airport....

Lutherville...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
3. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

I also do not like the AirPort, things got lost easily and Internet connection is not easy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

The loos are those hole in a tiled floor, or were last time I was there, About two years ago. Disgusting, i queued for absolutely ages, walked into the cubicle, and walked straight out again, still desperate to pee.

I'm sorry, but the last thing you expect when flying from Milan, is to have to squat over a hole in the ground. i dont think so. Uh,uh. Not happening.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
26,630 posts
5. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Squatting is good for you naturesplatform.com/…summary

Mind you, I don't like them either.

Edited: 10:56 am, March 29, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Not so good when wearing a business trouser suit and heels though:))

Cambridge, United...
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Joe - you have said nothing sarcastic to the others that have posted...are you stuck in the loos in Linate?

Edited: 1:45 pm, March 29, 2013
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
462 reviews
8. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

Linate is so much better since Malpensa became the main Airport for Milan . It used to be a hellhole but it is bearable now, and much more convenient then MXP if you are heading for the centre of Milan. The Gents in the non-Schengen departure area is adequate....

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
194 reviews
9. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

I have had much more negative experiences with Malpensa than Linate so it may just be luck and don't get me started on Fiumicino.

10. Re: Milan, Linate airport - has anyone else had bad experiences?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2014