We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about travel insurance

Cardiff
Level Contributor
395 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Question about travel insurance

I am going away in February next year from bristol and was just wiondering as it is the most likley time to snow I was just wondering what happens if I am snowed in in Cardiff and unable to get to bristol, does travel insurance cover this?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,780 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about travel insurance

I doubt travel insurance will cover this as this will be classified as an “act of god”, beyond anyone’s control. Have a good trip!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about travel insurance

Hi,

Insurance really is a case of "the devil is in the details" as each policy can vary dramatically as to what's covered and to how much, as what's not..

I do agree that as a general rule, so-called Acts of God/Nature are excluded cases, but it can't hurt to check I've seen a few policies that payout nominal amounts to cover limited emergency things in case you're stranded by weather.. but again, you really have to read the fine point to see..

Travel Safe,

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about travel insurance

Always buy good quality travel insurance and check the T&Cs. If the roads are blocked and are impassible then I am sure you would be covered. But lets face it, if this was to happen then the airport would probably be closed in any case.

The insurance comparison site www.defaqto.com is very helpful.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about travel insurance

As others have said the position will vary by policy but in general terms weather related issues are not covered - however my travel policy (M & S) covers delayed departure as a result of a delay in getting to the airport by a failure in public transport due to adverse weather but some of the benefits only start after a delay of more than 12 hrs.

The best option is simply to leave home a day early and stay overnight near the airport if the weather conditions warrant it.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
395 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about travel insurance

Thanks for the replys it is somehow the sort of answers I expected (unfortunateley) I will however look at M + S insurance

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about travel insurance

Sainsburys cover is the same as M&S about public transport failure due to adverse weather, so you would be covered for missed departure if you were travelling by public transport, not private car. Delay insurance would apply if you got to the airport, but the flight was delayed by more than 12 hours.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about travel insurance

Since you are in the UK and I am in Canada, our insurance will vary, but this would be a coverable incident for the insurance I sell, so I would look closely at the T & C's of the policy. There may be one there that will cover you as well.

good luck.

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
608 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about travel insurance

Back in April 2010 the ash cloud event was considered an act of god by the insurers and the majority refused to pay out . It was later re-classified as a weather event by the financial ombudsman, and the insurers then coughed up!

I've just been paid out btw, with two and a half years worth of interest to boot.

The devil really is within the the detail. But sometimes their interpretation of the detail as well, which is very often different to yours!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,047 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about travel insurance

tickingaway, Who were you insured with and what airline? Did you have to make a claim or did the insurers contact you? Our insurer was Columbus and airline Emirates and both denied liability.

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
608 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about travel insurance

Sorry for the delay. We were insured with InsureandGo - Europassist I think - and flew with Qatar. Needed a letter from Qatar to confirm refused boarding and confrimation of return re-scheduled flight. Provided this by return email.

We had to register a complaint with the financial ombudsman (having claimed from I&G and having had this refused).

I&G paid up in 2 weeks. Departure delay - £40 1st 12h then £20 for each 12h delay after this. £300pp for the week, 4 persons.

I then reminded them about the 8% interest. Another payment 2 weeks later!