We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Travel with Coffee Beans

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
International Travel with Coffee Beans

Can I take coffee beans roasted in Canada, on a British Airways flight, to Prague via Vancouver/London ?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,372 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

Unless the Czech regulations say you may not bring coffee beans into the country, all should be well.

If you pack the beans in your checked bag then they'll likely not be noticed; if you put them in your hand baggage they may be given closer scrutiny with the fear that the coffee scent will be masking something untoward.

BA's onboard coffee is dire; consider grinding some of the beans, putting them in a type sachet and once on board asking the crew to brew up a pot of a decent bevvy.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,791 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

The reason most airlines have dire coffee and tea is because the water doesn't get hot enough for proper brewing due to the lower air pressure. I'm not sure giving them good coffee to work with wouldn't be a waste of good coffee.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,734 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

Hi,

YorkFoodie,

I'm impressed.. Not many people realize all the issues, most uncontrollable, that limit or inhibit a carriers options when it comes to on-board F&B options.

It's for these same reasons you've seen several Asian carriers, like JAL and All Nippon (NH) install specially modified rice cookers (not re-heaters but cookers) in their premium cabins.. In the end, given the operational and environmental realities of mass catering logistics, top quality rice- and coffee- is very, very hard to make on the aircraft in flight.

Travel Safe,

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

I brought coffee from New Orleans through SFO and LAX to Melbourne and no one was even remotely interested. One of our cases was searched at MSY but not the one with the coffee in it (I think it was the hiking poles that raised suspicion).

I declared the coffee to Melbourne quarantine and they were not the slightest bit concerned. I think the drug detection dogs are trained to detect drugs even through coffee and obviously the dogs were not interested in our coffee either.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
630 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

I have taken coffee as a carry on. In the US, I take it out of my bag for separate screening just in case security has an interest. TSA has never have been excited about my Italian Roast coffee. I think they prefer airport house blend from the vending machine :-)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

TSA would not object to coffee beans unless they're a security risk. Customs might, but usually only if they're raw, unprocessed beans. We've taken processed cashews, and coffee, from Brazil to the U.S. I didn't realize Canada was known for its coffee. Educational site here!

I'm sure no airline would process the cofee you bring. Here's an instrucitonal video showing why they need to be careful about their coffee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQ_3sBZEm0

7. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:45 am, February 06, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

Can see no issue.

They do sell decent coffee in Prague though/))

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,132 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

Starbucks on every corner:) and then let's discuss ' decent'

10. Re: International Travel with Coffee Beans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 05, 2013