We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin First-timer - Please Help!

Cambridge, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Virgin First-timer - Please Help!

Hi all,

I don't fly a massive amount with work, normally a handful of domestic or European trips a year with the odd flight to the US, but all have been with BA or a oneworld partner, and all in economy. In a couple of weeks however I'll be heading to the US on VS1/2 from LHR to EWR and return, due to a good deal available to our corporate TA, and have a couple of quick questions that I hope members of this forum can answer.

1. Having never flown on the upper deck of a 747 (as this area has always been premium seats in the past), would you recommend trying to obtain one of the economy seats in the small upper deck cabin at online check-in? Whilst it would be novel for me, I don't want it to seem like I'm on a 757 crossing the pond (hence I don't fly with United)!

2. I've got a Gate8 compact cabin bag (gate8-luggage.co.uk/wheeled-garment-bag-suit…), it fits well within the allowable VS dimensions and looks small and light, but I'm concerned by the 6kg weight limit. How strictly is this applied?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Geoff

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin First-timer - Please Help!

Whether to go with the Upper Deck is a matter of personal preference - some like it as it feels quieter and more relaxed than the Lower Deck although it has fewer seats so it might seem like the 757 but personally I'd opt for it every time.

I'd assume the cabin baggage limit will be strictly enforced although it's often down to the staff on duty on the day - simply because it wasn't enforced in the past does not mean it wont be enforced on your flight.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin First-timer - Please Help!

It's been a number of years since I've flown on the upper deck with any airline but BA, but if you can book a seat upstairs for your VS flights then I say do so.

It's usually quieter on the UD; if the website's seat map is correct they've managed to fit 10 UC seats and 33 Economy seats in that small area so it might not feel as spacious as BA's Club World cabin, but it's still a treat to walk upstairs to find one's seat.

I don't know how strict VS are with hand baggage weight limits. If you have 6kg 200gm that might be acceptable, but the airline might say no if you carry a bag that weighs more than 6.5kg.

Cambridge, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin First-timer - Please Help!

Thanks very much guys! Got the upper deck seats and added to my Gate8 collection with a lighter carry-on (gate8-luggage.co.uk/suit-carrier-hand-luggag…), and was well within the weight restrictions. Had a great trip! Geoff

Cambridge, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin First-timer - Please Help!

One thing I forgot to mention - I made an awesome discovery on my last trip that i think the world needs to know about! Its a shirt and accessories case, a seriously genius travel solution that I don't think many people know about . I got mine from gate8-luggage.co.uk/shirt-and-accessories-mi…

Geoff

5. Re: Virgin First-timer - Please Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, December 15, 2013