We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

I have been anxiously awaiting to book my sydney to helsinki flighst for Mid may to early July and flights still seem to be quite high (2000+) when i figured the ealier the better? when would early bird fares usually come out and what would be the best price i would most likely get for that time?

ALSO, last time i flew to finland i had a baby so we were pretty well looked after up in the basinette seat, now i will be flying on my own with a now 4 year old - anyone got advise from expeirence for this as we will not be able to be up the front this time?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

it's a bit early yet. schedules are usually 330 days out.

monitor www.bestflights.com.au for specials. u dont necessarily have to purchase from them but their specials announcements give u a heads up when sales are on.

i would think around $1800 should be a reasonable level but u just never know.

some chinese airlines can be pretty cheap fares but whether helsinki is a destination is another question. also they have some pretty long layovers at their hubs which can reduce the attractiveness of their cheaper fares.

Edited: 8:55 pm, August 23, 2012
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

If you think about it, how many people fly from Australia to Finland every year (compared, say, to Oz to London)? Its not likely to be a competitive route.

The demand is likely to be pretty low, so you may as well book a cheaper flight to a hub, eg London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam; which has loads of competition, and then buy a cheap flight to Helsinki.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

from what i see on australian on line travel agents' sites at the moment, flights to the uk are the same price as flights to finland (and most places in europe)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

OK. Then the question should be "when is the best time to book a flight to Europe?"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

Thanks for the advice. As I am actually wanting to go to Turku, I never actually thought of going to a common euopean city and then connecting on a budget airline, this has the added benefit of going direct to Turku. Looking into it :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,676 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

Of course if you have the time you could go to a major city (such as Frankfurt or even Stockholm) and then go by surface transport such as a typically wonderful European train and if applicable a ferry.

See www.bahn.de for fares for rail travel in Europe, along with an excellent timetable - although early 2013 schedules will not be available online until mid December 2012.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

I believe you can get direct to Turku from Australia using Finnair, not just on budget airlines. Though as others have said, it's too early yet to be looking at May 2013 fares. Maybe sign up for Finnair's newsletters, they send out sale alerts and their sale fares seem pretty competitive. Mid-May isn't a peak departure date, so you should be able to land a reasonable fare a little closer to the time.

Edited: 11:38 am, August 26, 2012
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

FinnAirs own pricing is often good if you be flexible with dates. A day or 2 either way can save a lot. But I actually flew couple of years back using the bestflights combination deals, Qantas to Asia and return via different Asian city. Asia-Europe was with FinnAir. Stops both direction Helsinki but I got a onward and a return to Helsinki flight included. Turku is quick and cheap by bus from Helsinki airport, I used my onward for a further away destination

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

I agree with Lien, keep an eye on Best Flights website- the sale fares for Australia to Europe at the moment mainly seem to be for flights up to around the end of February, so looks like sale fares for May/June haven't been released yet. We're waiting on the same thing - hubby is planning a trip in Europe around that time, so we're regularly checking fares.

The Best Flights website is especially handy as you can monitor sales for particular airlines you're interested in - I've found that once a sale is posted on Best Flights, it sometimes takes a day or so for those same fares to be reflected on the airline's own website (we always book directly with the airlines whenever possible).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to book for May/July 2013 Australia-Finland

Thanks for the comments! I have also been looking at going to stockholm and just catching a boat over as there seems to be many more cheaper options even to stockholm rather than helsinki and then i can still go direct into turku. china air seems to be quite cheap at the moment at 1,548 but horrid times to be travelling with a 4 year old so i will keep searching and waiting :)