We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Onur Air

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Onur Air

Hi

I'm a stupidly nervous flyer to the point of not sleeping for a week leading up to my holiday! It doesn't stop me but it is very annoying and upsetting. I've just booked a late deal for me and my husband and 6 year old. Flight out is with Thomas Cook and back with Onur Air. I've flown with Thomas Cook before and know its a squeeze but from a safety point of view, I feel ok. I've checked up on Onur as not heard of them before and all posts before 2010 seem to be super bad from a safety point of view. Don't care about food or comfort really that much - just safety and planes that don't feel pre historic and dangerous. ANYONE HELP!! good news would be great and/or warnings so I can decide whether or not to try and buy new flight. Urgh! Thanks x

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Onur Air

The average age of the fleet is only 6 months older than the planes flown by Thomas Cook so just relax and enjoy your holiday.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Onur Air

Onur Air fly the same Airbus A320 and A321 fleet as Thomas Cook. The seating pitch will be the same and the service although with Turkish crew should also be the same.

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Onur Air

This airline is a disaster. I flew with them yesterday from Izmiz to Dublin. Emergency landing to Frankfurt as the window screen cracked. We were dumped in Frankfurt.The crew dissapperared , nobody on the ground to help or guide over 200 wandering souls until airport staff helped. We got home eventually 12 hours late. Staff the most rude people i ever met. Serious complaint on the way to Falcon.

Fom google I now see this airline has a poor safety record. Not good .

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Onur Air

Have flown with onur twice to Dalaman and never any issues!

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Onur Air

Oh my god! That's horrific! I'm really feeling nervous about them! Do you by chance know what kind of plane it was? X

11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Onur Air

Sorry, no, I can't recall which type of plane.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Onur Air

Aircraft windscreens crack fairly frequently. I believe airbus aircraft such as the one's used by Onur are made up of around three layers. Together they are strongest under the pressure of the cabin's pressurised air. If one pane fails, then obviously it is best to descend to a lower altitude will mean less pressure on the remaining window pane, and usually a diversion would be carried out. I would feel a lot less safer on Onur if they had not flown you to Frankfurt and have this remedied immediately. If it inconvenienced your arrival back to Dublin, just be pleased that you arrived late, but alive and well. It is regrettable that this happened on your flight, and I can understand that it may well sound scary, but for those who are more used to these types of thing, there is much more can go wrong.

Having diverted into Frankfurt you will appreciate it may well have taken Onur Air a little while to source a crew who had legal hours to fly you onward to Dublin and get them to Frankfurt where Onur Air does not have any based aircraft or crew. It may well have meant that you had to wait for the window pane to be fixed on your original aircraft or a substituted aircraft was made available. Just supposition. All I am saying is sometimes crap happens, Onur Air, Customer service aside did they best they could under the circumstances. If you feel that they were at all unsafe or could have made you feel safer then it would be nice to know how?

11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Onur Air

I'm not disputing the wisdom of landing in Frankfurt, but am unhappy at the total lack of communication to and respect for their customers.

Stowmarket
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Onur Air

Travelled on Onur Air fron Stansted to Ercan(N. Cyprus) return in May this year.

Aircraft was Airbus A319, Flights were on-time, crew were Turkish and very capable. Food was acceptable, particularly when most airlines do not include this in the ticket price. Space was cramped as is to be expected with 'charter' type airlines.

Would have no hesitation in using Onur Air in the future.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Onur Air

I flew onur air back from turkey (Antalya) take off fine, but the staff were incompetent,seat belt signs were left on by the captain for 2 hours and the cabin crew didn't mind young children or anyone else for that matter walking around the cabin while the seat belt signs were on. When we came into landing about 30mins before reaching gatwick there was a sudden surge forward and a dive sound like you hear from the planes in the movies, this horrified my wife and other passengers gasped. Not saying it wasn't safe but there wasn't any communication as to what had happened. I didn't feel comfortable until we landed, but something wasn't right