We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

It seems like I can't get a straight answer on this. Will I be able to pack some sandwiches (not medicine, not breast milk, etc.) for my flight along with some frozen gel packs? Or will my gel/ice packs be confiscated?

Neither the TSA website nor any other site has a clear, definitive answer on this.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
131. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

Great idea!!

132. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, August 04, 2014
Edited: 11:35 pm, August 04, 2014
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
133. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

As others have said, you can't bring the gel ice packs in your hand luggage for many airlines - unless they are under 100ml and all fit in a quart (or liter) ziploc bag. Seems like you are trying to advertise these - and saying that you are allowed to bring them on the plane. They should be fine in hold luggage - if they don't resemble dangerous explosives on x-ray.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
134. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

According to the TSA website:

"If the frozen item is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted."

So if your gel packs are completely frozen when you go through security, then you should be ok. However all of my gel ice packs have some flexibility even when completely frozen. For that reason, I use frozen peas instead. They're still solid when they unfreeze.

However, the poster in #132 does appear to be advertising. Also wrong. According to the TSA, you can bring dry ice:

"You can pack perishables in your carry-on or checked baggage in dry ice. The FAA limits you to five pounds of dry ice that is properly packaged (the package is vented)."

Edited: 11:04 pm, August 04, 2014
Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
135. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

Fantastic advice!

Diamond Springs...
1 post
Save Reply
136. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

Can unfrozen gel packs be placed in checked luggage?

137. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:07 am, October 18, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,315 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
138. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

Yes. No restrictions on liquids in checked luggage provided they are not flammable or explosive.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,606 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
139. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

'can unfrozen gel packs go in checked luggage?' Yes they can.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,144 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
140. Re: Ice packs, gel packs, etc. YES OR NO?

I suggest you package the ice packs/gel packs in secure plastic baggies, (just in case of leakage).