We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Berlin

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Topic
Air Berlin

People, do NOT use Air Berlin unless you like to gamble.

If nothing special happens, you're lucky and your flight will be ok.

If you're not lucky and Air Berlin decides to change or cancel a flight than you will feel sorry for having chosen Air Berlin. Their service is the WORST I have ever experienced. If you send a mail, it will be answered a week later, if you call you will not get a person who will and can help you and if you call the Customer Relations in Berlin, they say you need to send a fax!!!! By the time you have some contact, your flight will be history.

127 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Berlin

Same as Etihad by which they are partly owned. Plus the guy who is at the helm of Air Berlin ran Deutsche Bahn off the rails. Would never fly with them. They dont even offer attractive fares, at least not from my part of the world.

Edited: 5:56 am, August 01, 2012
Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Berlin

Yawn..

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Berlin

My flights to Munich had been changed twice and of course i had to cancel the trip..5-6 e-mails in a period of 5 months were never answered but thank god i had a friend who speaks German,called them and finally we got a full refund!

Rancho Mirage...
Level Contributor
1 post
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Berlin

My wife was routed to Zurich via Air Berlin after a last minute change in plans

It was one of the worst air travel experiences of her life ( and she is very experienced world traveler)

Supposedly she was booked "Business Class" but Air Berlin's version of Business Class makes Southwest look like super first class!

The cabin was very cold; ergo most of the passengers requested extra blankets (which soon became unavailable)

the food was not at all palletable and meager

the seats were too close with no leg room

the crew was not at all helpful

NEVER AGAIN

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Berlin

I agree!!!!

The worst airline! Especially for customer service!

We had a flight booked from Berlin to krakow flying out of brandenburg airport. Lucky we decided to web check it a couple hours before because thats when we found out that our flight was from Tegal airport instead!

There was no email no nothing to inform us of the change and we had already booked our hotel and transfer around Brandenburg.!

When you call them to ask for a transfer for you they can't help you and try to redirect you to customer service who doesn't answer and say that you have to email or fax them to contact them! Which is a load of crap!

The lady on the phone also tried to tell me that they sent me an email saying the airport was changed on a certain date. Yes I got and email on that date but it still said brandenburg not Tegal! Absoultely ridiculous!

Tried to talk to someone the airport. This one guy was the rudest man I have ever met on the planet and was trying to tell us it was out fault and it wasn't airberlins fault!

This is the last time I will ever fly with them and I will be posting everywhere I can, all over the Internet about poor service of this company!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Berlin

Use them frequently, and on 12 flights over the past 5 months, they have been up to 25 minutes late on a 3 hour flight. Disgraceful.

Carouge, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Berlin

So, being 6 foot plus I'm used to no leg room, but Air Berlin have set new standards in passenger discomfort flying from Abu Dhabi to Phuket. I simply could not fit my knees behind the seat in front even with my back pushed right up against my seat. Luckily I was sitting next to my wife and not some stranger who would definitely have objected to me take their space. This was a new plane with Air Berlin's new entertainment system. Once again not good enough. The touch screen format just doesn't work, you can't easily fast forward or rewind a movie and playing any of the games causes your arms to want to fall off after 5 minutes. I also pity the poor guy in front who was probably very fed up with me mashing the screen behind his head in shear frustration trying to get a movie to pause. Unfortunately we have to make the return journey yet. Air Berlin, take out a row of seats, sort out the entertainment system and maybe, just maybe you'll succeed.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Berlin

Rare in one of these 'do not fly' posts not to have any positive experiences to counter the negative! Airberlin don't fly to my neck of the woods, but can't say I've ever gone out of my way to fly them, either. Changing the airport without notice is a pretty significant fault!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Berlin

>>Rare in one of these 'do not fly' posts not to have any positive experiences to counter the negative! <<

Always happy to oblige...

:)

I was due to fly with them for the third time earlier this year, but had to cancel beforehand due to a death in the family. The two trips I've had with them, Paris to Berlin and Berlin to Stockholm, both last year, were fine - no trouble or delays on either flight. I've read ordinary things about their long haul flights, but based on my limited experience, I'd fly with them again within Europe without hesitation.

>>Changing the airport without notice is a pretty significant fault<<

This year I was scheduled to fly into Brandenburg in Berlin (in May) but there was a delay with the opening of the new airport. They sent me an email a couple of weeks before the flight notifying me of the change back to TXL.

Not saying that they mightn't have slipped up with someone else, nor am I denying Taylaaa's experience - but they definitely notified me!

Honolulu
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Berlin

Terrible service. Lost our bag and incredible hassle trying to get it back. Service was unbelieviably bad.

Finally had to arrange delivery myself. Now trying to recover funds for damage to bag - more hassle. Have cheap fares but not worth it! Would NEVER fly them again.

Reply to: Air Berlin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted