We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines Review

Tyler, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines Review

Our family of 5 went on vacation from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale during the last week of July 2012. I seriously considered driving to save on money. But that would be over 24 hours in the van with 3 young kids, not counting all the stops we would have to make in between. So, I decided to give Spirit a try. I had heard all the horror stories about them, so my expectation wasn't very high. All I wanted was to get on a plane at DFW and get to Florida in one piece the same day instead of 24hrs.

*****Customer Service issue 1.

I purchased 5 tickets, and the next day I was reviewing my purchase and to my horror I noticed my first mistake. I accidentally purchased 5 carry on bags instead of 5 check in baggage. Spirit is pretty strict with their refund policy. But I decided to call anyways. customer service was polite but reluctant. Eventually they gave me a full refund on the carry on which I used to purchased 5 check in bags.

*****Customer Service issue 2.

I elected not to pre-purchase seating. I was afraid that we would be spread out and not be seated together. So I wanted to check in online early right at 24hrs before the flight so we could at least be seated as a group. 24 hours came and I went online to check in but the link wasn't there. I called customer service and they told me that since I'm traveling with kids, I could not do online check in, I had to do counter check in at the airport. Again they were polite but in this case gave me the wrong info. The day of travel I looked online and the link was there, but I took their advice and waited till I got to the airport.

*****Traveling Day.

I wanted to be at the airport 3 hours early but things didn't go as planned. We ended up getting to the check out counter right at 5PM and our flight was for 6:45PM. They quickly checked us in and to our surprise we were all seated together 9ABCDE. We were able to quickly get thru security and we boarded and took off on time. The plane wasn't new but everything was clean and we had reclining seats. Something was rattling quite loudly during our takeoff from DFW. But once in the air it was smooth sailing all the way to FLL. The cabin crew was courteous but don't expect any frills. You have to purchase beverages or snacks if you want them Credit Card only no Cash. A can of soda is $3 and a bag of pretzel is $6. If you want something to drink or eat I recommend buying it before boarding. That's what we did.

*****Return Trip.

We got to the airport at 4PM for an 8:25 flight. Plenty of time. At FLL we didn't see any human check in counter for domestic travel. We had to use an automated check in counter. They have lots of them at FLL. I'm guessing at least 20. They have a customer service agent assigned for a set number of machines. She was very friendly and actually did it for us. the machine automatically spits out 5 boarding passes together. 17ABCDE.

The plane was a brand new Airbus A320. Very comfortable seats, but they don't recline and they are close together. The flight was smooth and uneventful which is a good thing. Smooth sailing for 2 1/2 hours until we landed. We took off on time.

*****Rating.

All in all I would have to give Spirit an A. Given my expectation everything went as well as the big boys. So no complaints from me. I would definitely fly them again.

*****Advice.

-If flying as a family in our case 5, in pays to purchase the $9 fare club. It saved us a lot on luggage.

-Spirit has more rules than most airlines, so make sure you know what you're getting into. Use their rules to your advantage and you can save big on the price of a ticket.

-I'm short 5'8 so that wasn't a problem for me, but if you're a really tall person, or hefty you may want to pay extra for the big seats upfront.

-Last but not least give yourself plenty of time for this airline.

Good Luck.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
191. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

Buyer Beware ! The name Spirit Airlines is very fitting for their method of operation. It is truly a ghost airline and they make it impossible to reach a real live person for any issues. The rate may be cheap when you book it, but by the time you add $50.00 charge for Carry on baggage, $10.00 if you come close to the ticket counter without printing your boarding pass, $100 at the gate for the carry on baggage if you fail to pay at the Kiosk + all the aggravation and humiliation by the gate agents and $50.00 for a decent seat if you do not want to sit between Mary Poppins and bubba Gump and the entire staff who feel that there's would be a great job if it wasn't for the Pesky customers, you will be far better off booking with a normal airline. it is the worst airline I have ever been on. Stay away....Stay far away !

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
192. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

Sounds like another one who can't read.

Jackie

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
193. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

It's amazing the number of people who buy a ticket, fly, and then come here to complain about the bag fees. Why buy a ticket on Spirit and then complain about the cost after the flight?

I fail to see how spending money on a seat will avoid sitting between "Mary Poppins and Bubba Gump"

When you fly another airline next time be sure to look at the bag fees before you book. And, watch out for Mary and Bubba as they may be on any airline.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
194. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

Why would Mary Poppins fly Spirit? She can fly herself (with one piece of hand luggage and an umbrella).

Anyhow reminds me of a song that Mary should have sung to you.....

♪ Texas-Paula-Goes-Ballistic-yes she's quite ferocious

Spirit and their baggage fees are really quite atrocious

She didn't check the luggage fees, not very precocious

Texas-Paula-Goes-Ballistic-yes she's quite ferocious

Bubba-Gump-diddle-um-diddle-eye

Bubba-Gump-diddle-um-diddle-eye ♪

Edited: 3:47 pm, August 17, 2013
Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
195. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

But reading the T & C's does not make a product better. Review of reviews here would conclude that Spirit Airlines is inherently a bad product. Not recommended.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
196. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

But reading the T & C's does not make a product better.

=================

But the vast majority of ranters come on here bemoaning and shocked at the fact that baggage fees are charged at all.... Reading the T&Cs will make it a much better product for them if they understand all the associated costs as they would be able to make a much more informed decision as to whether to fly or not.

If there are so many shocking reviews out there why on earth does the like of Texas Paula and others book with them? Because they are seduced by the low low prices and charge on head first into the unknown without reading all of these stinky reviews.

Personally I'd rather nail my own ears to the carpet than fly with them, but the least I would do before looking to book would be to check simple essentials like reviews and baggage costs.

Edited: 5:30 pm, August 17, 2013
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
197. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

Hi

I did a dummy booking twice today. You can take on a small bag for free, 40 x 35 x 30 cm for free. (Called personal item)

Then you are asked if you want any other luggage, the complainers will have refused this, and then a pop up appears asking you if you are sure you don't want to pay for your luggage otherwise it will cost you more later. Again you physically have to refuse this to move on with the reservation.

It is far more in your face than Ryanair or Easyjet so every single one of these foolish ranters has chosen the options to pay $100 at the gate instead of $30 in advance for a bag.

I would fly Spirit if it cost less with whatever extras I needed to get me where I wanted to go. But these fools who complain get absolutely no sympathy from me.

They talk as though these options are hidden in small print in he T&C's, there is nothing small about the information regarding the options.

Jackie

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
198. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

>>I would fly Spirit if it cost less with whatever extras I needed to get me where I wanted to go. <<

I am not sure that is wise given the reviews : Customer service is abysmal and if something goes wrong they have no relationship with other airlines to help them out. You may have to wait for next available Spirit flight, whenever that maybe.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
199. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

Hi

I have read all the reviews and the complaints and to be absolutely honest 99% of them are absolute rubbish. No boarding pass and I had to pay, to much luggage and I had to pay, hungry on the plane and I had to pay,

The main thing that puts me off is the wingers among the other passengers.

Jackie

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
200. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

You may have to wait for next available Spirit flight, whenever that maybe

===================

This is the one reason I would avoid them - Not because of baggage charges or boarding passes so in that respect I absolutely agree with Jackie.