We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

Guildford, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

I dropped a disabled friend at Stansted at the drop-off point and then parked so that I could assist with his check-in and to ensure that he and his wife were comfortable. When I got back to the car just under an hour later I was made to pay £9.90! There were several similarly shocked customers at the payment machine.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

Comparable price to Melbourne airport short term parking and yes we complain too

10 minutes over the hour and it jumps heaps

melbourneairport.com.au/To-From-the-Airport/…

Edited: 6:25 am, July 27, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

Sydney domestic terminal:

sydneyairport.com.au/go/…short-stay.aspx

Sydney international:

sydneyairport.com.au/go/…selfpark.aspx

Ned Kelly is alive and well and obviously on the Board of Macquarie Bank!

uk
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

Drop off/pick up parking rates are shocking at most airports I believe.

It is the same at Manchester, stay any longer than 30 minutes and get hammered.

At least Manchester still has a free set down area, I know Newcastle even charge a £1 just to enter the set down area.

Not so bad if you do it once or twice a year but FF really get stung.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

They basically pay Ryanair to land there so they have to make their money somehow, ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

in Edinburgh it is £1 to drop someone off,you get 10 minutes after that it is £5 for up to 20 minutes,£7 for up to 1 hour and £9 per hour after that., so go over the hour and you will be paying £16.

drop off points are that , drop the person off , park the car in the short or long term car park and then meet up with them again in the airport if you need to.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

Same at Luton £1 to drop of a passenger doesn't matter if you are disabled or not, airports are one of the only places you can not use the blue badge scheme, inconvenient yes but in view of security issues a necessity.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,297 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

You could have left your passengers at the drop off in front of departures and they could have requested assistance.

I normally go away with my partner, but went to Malaga alone recently. The special assistance people took me in a wheelchair and checked me in. No problem and no parking charges.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

Unclegus,I am glad I just read your post, my elderly disabled mother is flying here(FRA) from EDI next week ,I shall now warn the friends that are taking her to the airport not to stay too long!

Thankfully here in Germany it is still possible to get a car with blue badge to the airport doors.

Edited: 2:01 pm, July 27, 2012
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

There is free drop off available at Edinburgh but it is a bit of a walk. The £1 drop off is near to terminal doors.

Bury St. Edmunds...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stansted: Short stay: World's most expensive parking?

I took advantage of a "special" price for short stay parking for a week £112 prepaid and receipted. But on exit the exit bar stayed shut and the sign demanded £246......It sems to happen all the time. Eventually after a delay it was put right, but the system needs "polishing"