We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

I was wondering when you buy a non refundable ticket and you are late to the airport and miss your flight what happens? Are you just out of luck, do you have to buy another ticket, do you fly standby that day on other flights by that airline or what?

169 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,083 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Unless you have some travel insurance that covers you for issues such as delays in public transport getting to the airport then I'm afraid it's a case of having to buy a new ticket at the current price.

You can ask the airline for some form of credit but don't expect a positive response.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Are you just out of luck

======

You are *seriously* out of luck, because all subsequent flights will also be cancelled. Eg you fly A-B-A round trip and miss A-B, dont think you can make your own way to B and then fly back using the unused half. Or say you had series of flights, A-B-C etc to Z, miss any bit, say D-E, and the rest F-G and all the way up to Z is cancelled.

Now soemtimes there are exceptions, sometimes the airline will take pity, but for most tickets in most cases, your whole ticket is toast so its better to behave as if that will happen when planning when to get to the airport.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

it sometimes but not always works that if u r caught up in some hwy delays due to an accident or trains suddenly stop running to give the airline a call and explain your plight.

some may on occassions take pity on you. others dont give a damn

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Several US airlines have what they call a flat tire rule. This will allow you to standby for a later flight in the case of an accident, delay, etc. See the below article for a short explanation.

Though it refers to US Air and Southwest, they are not the only airlines that adhere to this policy. I would suggest you contact the airline as soon as you see there's a possibility of a delay en route to the airport.

…sky-tours.com/2012/01/the-airlines-flat-tir…

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

It really depends.

I have missed a few. Generally if you show up just a little late....they will try to get you on the next flight. For example, I showed up at Atlanta a few months ago about 40 minutes before a flight (because sometimes I am an idiot) I had to check luggage and the rule at Delta is 45 minutes or no go. Delta put me on a later flight no problem.

Another time I called from the road and explained that I was in a HUGE traffic jam and there was no way... (Lifeflight evac closed the interstate and you just waited) Once again they moved me.

Now, if you show up a few hours late... All bets are off. :)

It's best to call before the plane takes off! And IMHO the so called "low cost" carriers tend to be the least flexible (I no longer consider Southwest "low cost" their operating costs are getting right on up there with Delta, AA etc..)

Edited: 8:33 pm, July 25, 2012
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Thanks for the info, I do my best to always be at the airport early, however my next flight is a 7am flight on US Air and well I ahve to be taken to the airport by my sister who is never on time anywhere and sees no issue with being late as she says they will just put you on the next available flight with a seat open and well I kinda disagreed with her as they may do that with full fare tickets, but I wasn't to sure with the el cheapo ticket.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Get a taxi if she's unreliable. Either that or she should fork out for a new ticket for you!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

she says they will just put you on the next available flight with a seat open

Even if that were true, and it isn't always, consider the fact that flights are taking off pretty full right now. Most flights I've recently taken have a long list of standby passengers waiting to get on. You'd go behind them in line. It could be hours or even days before you could get on a flight.

Best solution is to just get to the airport on time.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Why would you put yourself through all that stress, get yourself a more reliable driver or make sure your sister knows she'll have to pay for another flight if your late.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,633 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?

Hiya Indy~~~~~I missed a flight with U.S. Air,and was given the next available flight. However,it was Manchester NH airport,which is smallish,and there were available seats.

My advice is hire an aiport shuttle van,or taxi,and relax,knowing you'll get there on time.

Edited: 1:02 pm, July 26, 2012
Reply to: What happens if you miss your scheduled flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted