We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about TSA

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Question about TSA

I'm flying to Europe in September and have a few questions about carry-on liquids that I have not come across before in my travels.

This year, I want to use facial cleansing towelettes (similar to baby wipes, but there's no baby) but would like to have them as carry-on. Do those qualify as a liquid, as they are part liquid, and do I need to put them in the quart bag with my other liquids?

Also, I have been experiencing some minor back pain and want to take some Icy Hot pads with me on the plane (as the plane seats are generally uncomfortable and not back-friendly, to begin with). Technically, those do have a liquid on them, so do those also need to be in my quart bag? I have traveled with prescription liquids before and having those separate was always fine, but I couldn't find any info. on the TSA website.

Thanks!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,699 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about TSA

I would not expect the cleansing towelettes to fall within the 3-1-1 limits as they are neith liquid or gel..

The Icy Hot pads might fall within the 3-1-1 limit based on the following extract from the TSA website.

"Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements."

I'm assuming Icy in the description means they are frozen but it could depend on whether they remain frozen as you pass through security.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about TSA

They are probably OK outside of your quart baggie, but it is impossible to be sure since each TSO gets to make up the rules on their own. If you have room, put them in the bag. If not, separate them and just leave them in your carry on. They will probably not be noticed, but you may get a lecture if you run into a power tripping TSO. Medically necessary liquids/gels are allowed in unlimited quantities (within reason). If they make an issue out of the icy hot, claim ignorance on declaring it ahead of time and tell them you need it for pain management.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about TSA

I thought the Icy/Hot patches might qualify as medically necessary, as well, but as you said, each TSA agent is different. It's sort of frustrating not knowing these things for sure!

Tom - The Icy/Hot aren't really frozen, the name just refers to the sensation you get when you use one on pain (but believe me, they work!). They are a sort of patch that has a menthol gel on them, so I'm guessing they could go either way.

Thanks for the tips!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,840 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about TSA

The cleansing towels are definitely OK outside the baggie!

I have taken similar ones and others that have insect repellent with no probs at all.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,902 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about TSA

Icy Hot patches are "Pain-relieving ointment on a breathable adhesive pad." It's not a frozen item. More like a large bandage or wrap. I'd think one or two would be OK as a carry-on item not included in the 3-3-1 bag, but if you can fit it in there, wouldn't hurt to have it there.

I've taken wrapped facial towelettes in my carry-on, not in the 3-1-1 bag, and have never had them noticed. I think saying they were liquid or gel would be a stretch.

But then again I don't work for TSA.

Croatia
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about TSA

Of course they are ok...3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) are ok...why cleansing towels wouldn't be...

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about TSA

IF you bring the Icy hot pads, be prepared in case they take them away. i find IBUPROFEN works very well (and fairly quickly).

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about TSA

I was actually trying to remember if Icy/Hot was something you could find in the airport shops after security. I'd never needed them before so had never looked. And there will be Advil, as well. But the patches still work better! I'm probably going to attempt to keep them in the 3-1-1 bag.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about TSA

Robm103: I am going on a trip tomorrow and also have to use Icy Hot pads for my back. Did you end up taking yours? And did they notice/care?

10. Re: Question about TSA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 17, 2014