We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stolen Luggage items

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Stolen Luggage items

Does anyone know of a brand of luggage that is criminal-proof?

Having just been a victim of luggage theft between Bangkok via Hong Kong to Australia (July 2012) I have to say that I don't think any luggage security method is criminal proof. We had STA approved locks- it didn't matter. We used a reputable carrier- Cathay Pacific- it did matter and they don't care either. This video sums it up although I'm not convinced about the strap security:

www.youtube.com/watch…

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stolen Luggage items

What was missing?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stolen Luggage items

i dont know any luggage that is pilfer proof.

but my remedy has been to pack things in checked in luggage that are of no great loss if they disappear and to have travel insurance.

anything valuable stays with me in my carry on.

altho these days with full overhead lockers when planes are only 75% loaded the chance of carryon being 'forced' into the hold is real..

so now i take a smaller expandable bag in my carryon to transfer the most valuable things to if this happens (and it has).

Edited: 7:47 pm, July 19, 2012
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stolen Luggage items

No such thing. That is why valuables do not belong in checked bags,

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stolen Luggage items

Camera, Wireless mouse and beautiful set of Chinese pens. What pissed me off so much is that we have been travelling for some time and depended on the security of the TSA lock not realising that the criminals can get into your zipper so easily (ball point pen). We have never lost anything in the past. My neighbour suggested we buy 'Samsonite' products and yet other folk say that their locks can also be easily broken into.

Yes agree with others- no valuable items should ever be put into ckeckin (so it is our fault)- no wait its not our fault- its the slackness of our carrier to guarantee our security. When you pay for an air ticket - the minimum we should all expect is that our belongings are safe. The same for any other professional organisation- are you going to accept a doctor who doesn't give a damn about your health? So why should we accept anything less than decent security from airlines. I mean Cathay Pacific don't even care that things have gone missing- demonstrates their slackness. We will never fly Cathay Pacific again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stolen Luggage items

no wait its not our fault- its the slackness of our carrier to guarantee our security. When you pay for an air ticket - the minimum we should all expect is that our belongings are safe. The same for any other professional organisation- are you going to accept a doctor who doesn't give a damn about your health? So why should we accept anything less than decent security from airlines. I mean Cathay Pacific don't even care that things have gone missing- demonstrates their slackness. We will never fly Cathay Pacific again.

---------

And for each time you're daft enough to prove your point and lose you'll have another airline you'll never fly again. I don't know of any airline that will cover theft, it'd be rife for abuse.

Don't pack valuables and have decent travel insurance. See if your homeowners insurance covers it, surprisingly some do.

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stolen Luggage items

How easy is it for someone just to go up to the suitcase pickup area and just grab any bag? I wonder how many times that happens?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stolen Luggage items

OP2002 I respect your point but still we should all expect security to be tight at airports. Look how difficult it is for us to get through airport security insode the terminal- obviously no one cares about what is going on in the baggage handling areas.

Is baggage security a bit like the common cold- there is no cure??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stolen Luggage items

The items could have been lifted from the bag in BKK, HKG or in Australia. Baggage handling is usually under airport control rather than a matter for an airline to deal with, and without knowing where the light-fingered villain did the deed it's impossible to say who was responsible for the actual theft of the goods (ie taking the items) and where it happened.

Bags occasionall go walkabout with another pax, but it seems to be poor form not to return the item sharpish: flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executiv…

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stolen Luggage items

Agree TravellerPlus. The general public should however demand higher security in baggage handling areas. There seems in some areas to be more security than others. Surely we can expect security where it is definitely needed?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stolen Luggage items

To reduce the risk of your locks being picked you can get your bag plastic wrapped. This is what pax on flights to JNB do as this airport is infamous for it. This precaution is even mentioned on the FCO website.

Of course it doesn't stop the bag to "walk".

Bags go missing, locks get picked no matter who you fly with. CX is not in charge of baggage handling. They just stick the label.

I know such an incident is annoying. If the airline doesn't respond to enquries it is even worse. Have the same with EY.

We no longer have the time to go by boat. It's flying or stay home. No airline guarantees your bags.