We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad Economy

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Etihad Economy

Hi

I'm traveling from Chicago to Abu Dhabi in Economy class. Since it's a long flight, I want to get a general idea of what to expect. The reviews so far online have been pretty mixed (leaning toward bad).

Any thoughts?

If Etihad has poor service, then I may bring my own food and booze...haha

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,992 posts
1,790 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etihad Economy

They are a relatively young airline with a modern fleet of planes. Good IFE system and I would say that they are better than long haul US carriers such as Delta or UK carriers such as Virgin although a touch below Emirates.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etihad Economy

I would check what type of aircraft your going on. Some of their planes and notably the 777 have ten abreast in economy compared with the normal nine on other airlines. very cramped

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etihad Economy

Looks like they are mostly operating the Boeing 777-300 which is good news.

I recently flew AUH-MAN on Etihad on their A330-300, and although that aircraft was quite cramped, the IFE was good, and the food choice was excellent as well.

The 777 generally are also much more roomier as well.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etihad Economy

I guess it is 3-3-3. Before it used to be 2-3-2. More seats cramped into the same space. They have scaled down in business class to very basic level. No doubt they have not improved economy instead but the opposite.

Try to get a deal in business, lie flat seats. You have a long flight.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etihad Economy

Have used them a few times on the London - Bangkok and London - KL stints. No probs. As far as economy goes, I haven't been in worse. Food generally OK. they usually have 3 options for mains, but if you are at the back or last in service, the choice gets smaller as it goes on.

IFE is good, probably better than Emirates I think. Service, no better or worse than some others.

Would use them again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etihad Economy

philpara,

I think you my be confusing Etihad woth Emirates re seating on B777. Emirates is 3-4-3 in Economy, Etihad is 3-3-3. None of Etihad fleet is 10 abreast - well, not according to Seat Guru anyway.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etihad Economy

I have flown Manchester to Abu Dhabi with Etihad in economy and was happy with the service on both legs, staff were efficiant and friendly and the seats were comfy and good legroom.

Drinks service was good as for food on the outbound flight the dinner was nice and there was a choice of meals, to be honest the breakfast on the return flight was not to my liking but that is just down to personal taste, i would definately fly with them again.

Oh just to add the IFE was good plenty of choice.

Level Contributor
177 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etihad Economy

I have just flown EY AUH to BKK on a 10 abreast (3-4-3) 777. Very cramped in economy. I think all their 777s are 10 abreast in economy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etihad Economy

From Seat Guru:

seatguru.com/airlines/Etihad_Airways/Etihad_…

Level Contributor
177 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Etihad Economy

Seat guru is out of date.