We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

hong kong
2 posts
Save Topic
Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

It is a family travel from HK to Munich on Jun 29. Lufthansa changed my seat reservation I made in Jan(6 mths before) WITHOUT NOTICE and break my family of 3 seating separately. I noticed that only because I checked my booking online again 4 days before departure. I called and they said the one I reserved before is a special row(but not an exit row, it’s just the 2nd last row, row 57) and they said once there is an unaccompanied child they have to take that. But when I made the reservation there is NO SUCH WARNING and they cannot arrange sitting together again because the flight is very full. I asked them “are you going to place a 4 yr old kid sitting with strangers and leaving her to cry throughout the trip”. The customer service admits the system is bad and said they will “try” to request but no guarantee. I called the HK office and they said that they will release 2 rows that are blocked and call me the day before departure to confirm the seats. They admitted the arrangement is bad and suggested me to make a complaint. I am thinking if I did not pro-actively check the booking again and wait until I checked in, it means that we have to sit separately and in particular, my 4 yr old kid has to sit by herself and losing the care of her parents for a long flight even their parents did reserve the seats to sit together well in advance. I booked Lufthansa only because they allow seat reservation during my online booking so that I can guarantee the whole family sitting together. But it is clear that such seat reservation is not delivered. I left the message on facebook of Lufthansa and Star Alliance and only receive the feedback from Star Alliance. Lufthansa is forced to follow up with me after Star Alliance alerted them. The conclusion is that the whole Lufthansa care less their customers, care less family travel with young children as they dare to change your seat reservation without notice and arrange a 4 year old kid to sit by herself with strangers for long haul. I told my friends and colleagues who are frequent travelers and they were all speechless. The conclusion is NEVER LUFTHANSA.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

>> I am thinking if I did not pro-actively check the booking again and wait until I checked in, it means that we have to sit separately <<

True, but **pro-actively** checking the booking means doing so **very frequently**, not once four days before you travel. If your assignment had been changed weeks ago and you discovered it then, it's quite likely you would have been able to just grab three seats together online.

On several occasions I've had my seat reset, but because I'd discovered early I managed to get them (or at least good ones) back.

Unfortunate, but I'm afraid seat reservations aren't binding. And as it appears LH are pulling out some stops to get you seated back together I can't see why you're saying "never Lufthansa".

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

In if the worst case scenario, say that the flight is really full, and no one wanted to swap seats, your child need not sit in that specific seat that she has been assigned to. One adult parent can swap such that the adult sits alone, and your child is with you. Unless you are saying that LH gave your group of 3 all single seats?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

I'm a little bit lost, your post is hard to read.

Is the issue you booked a row where your child was not permitted to sit, and the system did not alert you? So the airline had to manually override, as there was an unaccompanied child who that seat will be used for?, so your group needs to be moved?

Are all three of you separate now, or do they have two together and one alone, so as per previous poster, it just means the adult can sit on that seat and not the child.

I'm sorry, maybe if you can just state the facts briefly and clearly people can help.

southern england
Level Contributor
274 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

I agree with the last poster,that is a simple way around this, and another 'DON'T fly with XYZ airline bites the dust'

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

>> I'm a little bit lost, your post is hard to read. <<

Yup ... don't they teach "paragraphs" any more?

From I read it seems that the seats they had originally picked (next to last row so not safety critical) are also set aside for unaccompanied minors should one book. So, I can see a flaw with LH's system here. If that row is earmarked for a special category of traveler, then it would seem sensible to block that row from seat selection. That way, people couldn't select those seats and then be bumped.

But, that doesn't detract from the fact that passengers should check their reservations frequently, so in case something like this happened you'd see it much further out from departure and the chances of resolving it are higher and easier.

And, I repeat, Lufthansa are looking to resolve the situation using their set of blocked out seats for allocation at check in. I hope the OP calls their HK office tomorrow and speaks to the same manager who committed to helping sort it out.

Edited: 2:53 am, June 28, 2012
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

The conclusion is ANOTHER RANT

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

>> The conclusion is ANOTHER RANT <<

Well yup ....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187275-i116-k5543…

hong kong
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

yes, 3 separate seats, maybe I am "spoiled" by Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airline who would not do that to the customers. It is indeed funny that i did enter the age of the kid when booking and the system(well, the system is designed by human) still make such an arrangement

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,080 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

We had a similar situation the other week on Ryanair - granted, the seats were not booked in advance - but the cabin crew sorted it out within a minute and nary a grumble in sight.

I think it is a bit of a storm in a teacup.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthansa changed my seat reserva.4 yr old kid sitting alone

<<I think it is a bit of a storm in a teacup>>

I disagree, i don't blame someone not familiar with airline travel being concerned, and in a situation like this surely the airlines system should at least keep one parent and the child together when it reassigns.