We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Planes

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
129 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Planes

Hi,

I am flying from Newcastle to Alicante next week and just wondered if anyone know what type of plane i will be flying on, i have tried to google it and have found that it could be a Boeing 737-800 or a Boeing 757-200.

Has anyone flown with Thomson before? Are the seats really really cramped? I am a nervous flyer and have been reading all sorts of things from review websites about how cramped the planes are. I flew with Thomas Cook not long ago and the plane was sooo cramped i wanted it.

I have also prebooked a window seat will this give me abit extra room?

Thank you

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,257 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Planes

A window seat won't give you any more room. Seat pitch on Thomsons shorthaul configured aircraft is usually 28".

romford
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Planes

We suffered TC flights on mid haul until our son turned 14, which is when we switched to Thomson due to being able to book the extra legroom seats ...... bliss. However, I wouldn't book any holiday with TC now due to a bad experience I've had with them in the past.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
129 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Planes

Thank you for your replies.

I must have had the worst possible seat with Thomas Cook. I had the middle seat and the chair would not recline due to the wall behind us. 5 hours of this did not do anything for me and my nerves!

I am hoping for a better experience with Thomson, we flew with Jet2 last year and i wasnt expecting much but i can honestly say it was the best flight i have ever had. The seats where comfy and i didnt feel 'crammed in' at all.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Planes

Hi i flew from Naples with Thomson not great but better than T.C.Have also flown with Jet 2 a lot deal better than the others.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Planes

There is hardly any,if any difference between the seat pitch of Thomson Airways and Thomas Cook Airlines shorthaul.Both are tight for kneeroom and not as good as Jet2 which could have something to do with Jet2 seats generally being less-upholstered.

There is one aspect of aircraft-type that could affect nervous flyers like you.Boeing single aisle aircraft 737/757 have overhead lockers that take up more personal overhead space than Airbus A320/321.This can result in a feeling of claustrophobia as the lockers are directly above your head if in the 2 inside seats.As already stated window seats are no different in fact you feel less hemmed in if you have an aisle seat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Planes

If you type your flight number into Google, it should give you information about the plane normally used on that flight.

Sorry, just re-read the OP : you already know that.

Edited: 7:56 pm, June 25, 2012
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
983 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Planes

Sparkling, can you not still pre book the extra legroom seats, like at the exits?

I swear by them as i am a nervous flyer and the feeling of personal space does calm me down alot.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Planes

Not sure it's wise nervous flyers booking exit row seats. Would you want someone nervous just flying being responsible for the emergency exits?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,257 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Planes

I have to agree sunmagic. I'm a nervous flyer, but hubby is very tall and really needs extra legroom. I wouldn't book the exit seats though because it wouldn't be fair to other passengers. I've not a clue how I would react in an emergency!!

A friend once mentioned to an airline, when she rang to book extra legroom, that she was a nervous flyer and they wouldn't allocate her exit seats - for obvious reasons!

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
983 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Planes

I see what youre saying about nervous flyers and the leg room seats, but my other half too is tall, 6ft5, so it is much easier all round.

Honestly, since i have sat in the exit seats i dont get half as nervous, so it probably wouldnt come across that i was a nervous flyer. And trust me, i would be the 1st one to open and get out that door if there was a situaution that called for it lol

It is true though, according to Thomson, you cannot occpy the exit seats on their planes if you are a nervous flyer.